nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #10364
View in linear mode

Subject: "Recommended camera" Previous topic | Next topic
gobigdave Silver Member  Scituate, US  Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006 Thu 14-Mar-13 08:46 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Recommended camera"

My daughter is 10 and interested in learning more about photography. She's really interested in getting beyond simply snapping photos with her iPod Touch, and she wants to do things more like I do. The thing is I'd like to get her a camera that allows for more control (vs. only Program mode), but I don't want to break the bank in the process. Unfortunately, the trend now seems to be backwards from what it was when I started up. The entry level cameras were very basic, and you had spend more to get all the auto features. Now, it seems you have to spend more to get the more creative controls. Ideally, I would love to have something simple like an FM10 but digital.

Any recommendations? Note, please don't recommend film cameras. I have no interest in her burning roll after roll of film while she experiments. I still have that old Braun and an original Monolta, but those are not what I'm looking for.

FYI, I picked up photography in the 80s using a 1940's vintage Braun 35mm camera. No meter, no auto, nothing. The sunny f/16 rule led the way, but because of that I have a good understanding of how aperture and shutter speed work. Maybe I'm an old-school engineer, but I find incredible value in understand how the basics work before I give up control to a computer (and I'm a CTO in the software biz). Now, I'm working with a D600, and I spend most of my time in aperture priority.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Recommended camera 2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
14th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera tomiferrin
14th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera jec6613
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera gobigdave Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: Recommended camera DinoCardelli
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera jbayston
17th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera liamtoh1ps
22nd Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera SoCalBeans Silver Member
16th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera gobigdave Silver Member
14th May 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera mkbee1 Silver Member
14th May 2013
Reply message RE: Recommended camera MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th May 2013

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Anchorage, US  Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003 Thu 14-Mar-13 09:11 PM
891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd look for a good used D300.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

tomiferrin   San Isidro, AR  Registered since 08th Mar 2013 Thu 14-Mar-13 10:33 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Dave,

You could get her a d5100 or d 3100 which where recently replaced by d5200 and d3200 respectively and can be found for 200-300us less, even the kits.

For a lense i would recommend a Nikkor FX 35mm f/2 AFD, it has focus and aperture ring, bare in mind that it wont autofocus on those cameras. If you would like to to have the option to do so a d7000 would be a better choice, it was also recently replaced by d7100 so you can find it cheaper.

An FX 35mm would be aproximately a 50mm on a DX, manual focus and aperture + feet zooming should teach her plenty

Hope this helps, cheers!

Tomas

jec6613   Norwalk, US  Registered since 12th Feb 2013 Fri 15-Mar-13 02:04 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 2

You could even go as far back as the D3000, although the D3100 is much improved over the D3000. The D3100 kit is a great starting point, and allows full manual control.

For a second lens, I'd suggest the DX 35 mm f/1.8G instead of the 35 mm AF-D f/2. The older lens is a fine lens, but it's bigger than it needs to be, and the aperture ring is useless on the lower end bodies - unless the ring is locked, it won't release the shutter except in M mode, and it won't meter in any mode.

If you're skittish about a DSLR due to its bulk, and I would be with a 10 year old, I'd get either a Coolpix P7000 or P7100. Both are available inexpensively, offer full manual control with physical control points (they are nicer than the D3100 and D5100 when it comes to manual control), pack a reasonable amount of IQ and are metal bodied cameras so are pretty hardy.

The P7000/P7100 seem like a perfect middle ground for her to stop up from the iPod Touch, and steps her into a DSLR in a few years.

Hope this helps!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Fri 15-Mar-13 02:41 AM
27643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Dave,

A used D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, or even a D100 are all inexpensive and have Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Program exposure modes. Add an 18-55mm or even a 35mm f/1.8G and you have a great camera to learn the basics on.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Fri 15-Mar-13 08:31 AM
27072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

I was recently in the same position with respect to a close friend's 12-year-old daughter. I gave her my old D100 to use, along with a 50/f1.8 AFD. I chose those most obviously because I had them, but without excess inventory, I'd have still done about the same thing: a D100 and an 18-55VR. Why? A D100 is surely not the paragon of the latest technology, but it has full manual control, is a digital SLR, and these days are readily available on the used market for about $150. There are so many 18-55VR's floating around (Nikon has literally made several million of them) that they are about $70, yet provides excellent optical quality, VR and versatile focal range.

It's not quite a digital FM10, since it has P, S and A modes as well as a pop-up flash, but it's really pretty close to that. Given the total investment of under $250, it won't be a crisis if something goes wrong. And it does look a LOT like Daddy's camera, too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gobigdave Silver Member  Scituate, US  Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006 Fri 15-Mar-13 01:48 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Coolpix models with manual control for their size, but I'm going to have her try a few of the used DSLRs. Of course, she will try my D600, but only when I'm around. That's a big one to drop.

DinoCardelli   Plantation, US  Registered since 19th Oct 2010 Fri 15-Mar-13 11:23 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 6

Check Adorama or B&H for a refurb D60...

Get a couple of refurb kit lenses and you are golden...

d

Visit my professional gallery.

jbayston   UK  Registered since 30th Dec 2012 Sun 17-Mar-13 06:54 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

I think i would look at a D3100 or even d510. they are great cameras, have good menus with great advice for beginners. And then she can borrow your lenses....

liamtoh1ps   US  Registered since 17th Apr 2012 Fri 22-Mar-13 10:03 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Dave,

I am also in the same boat. Both my daughters are interested in learning photography. Luckily in my case, I still have my D70 and plan to pair it with Rokinon 35 f/1.4 with automatic chip.

I have also found some online websites for teaching them before they actually take pictures.

SimCam
The SLR Camera Simulator
Simulator.

Pravin.

SoCalBeans Silver Member  San Diego, US  Nikonian since 09th Jan 2008 Tue 16-Apr-13 03:39 AM
385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 9

I have a friend who's 14 yr old wants to take pictures. So, he ended up getting a camera he could use and share with her. He got a d3100 and basic kit lens.

My instinct with the dad is to teach him all kinds of things - but he doesn't want to learn. He just wants to take pictures. And, so does his daughter.

While he lives a mile from the beach with wonderful sunsets and a pier, but he wants to take photos of his daughter playing basketball in a gym. I am not sure he wanted to hear me tell him to start with the sunset and work toward the action. But, it shows him that he needs to learn about focus points and shutter speed (and how to control them). That is, if he wants good photos.

There are so many great photos out there - that most novices think that all they do is get the action in the viewfinder and click the shutter to catch the same photo.

The dad reminisces about his film camera - focus and shoot. And talks about how complicated the digital is.

But, if they want to do better; learn more - they will dig deeper. There's lots to learn, but first step is to understand what they don't know.

gobigdave Silver Member  Scituate, US  Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006 Tue 14-May-13 06:38 PM
#11. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 0

A new Nikon Coolpix P310 for my daughter showed up today. B&H had a quick deal for less than half the normal price (<$180 with a case and shipping), so I jumped on it. It's not a DSLR, but it does allow for full manual control. Maybe we can time this right such that when I graduate to the D800, she can have the D600.

My daughter is so excited. She's been coming on my sunrise walks to see what I do. Now, she can take some photos with her own camera. I'm guessing a small tripod is next.

mkbee1 Silver Member  West Valley, US  Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012 Tue 14-May-13 09:46 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 11

All good suggestions: Whatever camera (all of them nowadays)that offer the basics, even if someone doesn't wish to progress beyond the P&S category.

With kids, who don't seem to respect equipment very much, and will stuff cameras into glove boxes, gym bags with wet, dirty socks, and rhyming articles of apparel,as well as backpacks and purses, cheap and simple is best, till they know they like photography, and you know they will take care of their(your)equipment.

How do you tell who will become a good to excellent photographer? You can't...you educate them as best you can, then throw them all into the corral, and the ones who will,generally do.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Fri 17-May-13 03:08 AM
27643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Recommended camera"
In response to Reply # 11

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the follow up.
Have a great time.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #10364 Previous topic | Next topic