Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7830
View in linear mode

Subject: "HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing " Previous topic | Next topic
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Sun 28-Jul-13 07:28 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing "

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

I have just started trying my luck with HDR and am impressed so far. (D700, Photomatix Pro, Capture CNX2.)

I notice that Photomatix advise setting the +/- bracketing steps at 2 stops. But the D700 only allows 1 stop. So, I believe, does the D800.

Is this a disadvantage? If it is, can it be solved other than by manually resetting the stops for each shot (unattractive)?

Thanks for any comments.

James
Suffolk UK

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 28-Jul-13 09:33 AM
34300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 28-Jul-13 09:34 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You can set the number of shots and the EV value steps.
Custom setting e5. Auto bracketing.
Then see Custom setting b2 which regulates the size of the steps or exposure interval.

Best HDR I've seen is made with 9 shots and 2 f-stops steps.
I have a pending exercise on this, with my D700.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Bill Kennedy Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013Sun 28-Jul-13 11:09 AM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing "
In response to Reply # 1

Christiansburg, US

9 shots which EACH ONE 2 stops apart?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wwp512 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Tue 30-Jul-13 05:00 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing "
In response to Reply # 1

ALBUQUERQUEQ, US

>Best HDR I've seen is made with 9 shots and 2 f-stops steps.
>I have a pending exercise on this, with my D700.

I am new at this and needs help understanding the practicality of this:

at + and - 8 stops, starting at 1/25 shutter speed, thats going from 1/8000 to 8 sec. exposure, is that right?

I've done +/- 4 stops, from 1/500, the range is 1/25-1/8000, at these ss I can hand-hold the camera on auto-bracketing and H-burst. Photomatix seemed to do a pretty good job.

This is a 3 frames HDR at +/- 2 stops tonemapped

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Mon 29-Jul-13 12:35 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HDR/D700 with 2-stop bracketing "
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

Just use -4,-2,0,+2,+4 and ignore the odd numbered exposures for your HDR. You will not see any difference between the result of this sequence and using them all and in some cases sharpness of the HDR might even be improved.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7830 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.