Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7585
View in linear mode

Subject: "D600 and HDR" Previous topic | Next topic
mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Thu 17-Jan-13 01:15 PM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D600 and HDR"
Thu 17-Jan-13 01:22 PM by mpage

San Jose, US

I recently upgraded from a D300 to a D600. I could bracket 9 frames for HDR with the D300, but with the new D600 I can only bracket 3 frames.

I can bracket more frames with the D600 by getting another product. I am considering the following two choices:

CamRanger: http://www.camranger.com/

Promote Control: http://www.promotesystems.com/

Both products are around $300. Both would allow up to 40 frames or more brackets. The CamRanger does much more than the Promote Control.

Here is a YouTube overview of the CamRanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCNEh_YOX4

The advantage of the Promote Control is the speed of frame capture because it can use a second shutter release cable. The CamRanger is limited to the USB connection.

Here are two YouTube videos that demonstrate the difference between the USB only and the optional shutter release cable:

USB only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7M636-l6Y

With second shutter cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zg2Y-KtcQM

The CamRanger is closer to the slower Promote Control operation.

With the Promote Control I could capture 15 frames in 10 seconds. With the CamRanger I could capture 15 frames in 25 seconds.

My questing is how important is the faster capture speed for HDR? Would I loose anything with the slower HDR capture speed?

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D600 and HDR
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
17th Jan 2013
mpage Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
18th Jan 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
18th Jan 2013
mpage Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
EightWheels Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
mpage Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
CopyKatnj
26th Nov 2013
mpage Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
SCvol81 Silver Member
10th Feb 2014
PBlais Silver Member
25th Apr 2014
Joecosentino Gold Member
26th Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
27th Apr 2014

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 17-Jan-13 06:08 PM
11816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

If you are taking images for HDR where there is movement of objects in the frame the faster the better. Fast moving clouds, lightly swaying branches or grasses, people at a distance, that sort of thing. Otherwise a 15 second advantage should not make a whole lot of difference.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Fri 18-Jan-13 01:40 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

Ernesto,

That a good point. I always consider HDR images as having static subject, but there could be some movement as you mentioned above. In the past I used HDR to shoot interiors, so for these kind of shots the speed probably does not make a difference. Here are a few of the HDR interior shots:

I found that HDR is great for shooting interiors. These images convey the look and feel of the interior environment in a way that artificial lighting would not. HDR also allows the capture of dark interiors with bright scenes through windows.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 18-Jan-13 05:41 PM
11816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 2

McAllen, US

Mark,

Yes, HDR is probably the best choice for professional level interior architectural applications. Love those examples, especially the one of the sitting room.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Fri 18-Jan-13 11:19 PM
4402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I would prefer the one that allows you to shoot faster. It would work in more situations.
Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sat 19-Jan-13 12:57 PM
#5. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 19-Jan-13 01:01 PM by mpage

San Jose, US

I ended up going with the Promote Control. It will arrive next week I believe it is the superior option over the CamRanger for HDR. It is very fast with the option cable release cord. I can capture any number of 1/3 stops frames that I want.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

EightWheels Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2008Wed 20-Feb-13 02:47 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Perkasie, US

>I recently upgraded from a D300 to a D600. I could bracket 9
>frames for HDR with the D300, but with the new D600 I can only
>bracket 3 frames.
>
>I can bracket more frames with the D600 by getting another
>product. I am considering the following two choices:
>
>CamRanger: http://www.camranger.com/
>
>Promote Control: http://www.promotesystems.com/

I hadn't heard of either of these products, so thanks for posting this -- VERY interesting! I also recently upgraded from a D300 to D600 (after my entire kit was stolen this past September), and one thing I haven't replaced yet was my right angle view finder. Now I'm thinking I may get the CamRanger instead -- really looks cool.

I, too, was disappointed that you can only do an auto bracket of 3 frames on the D600. I used to do 5 frames one stop apart on the D300, and now do 3 frames two stops apart on the D600. I do a lot of HDR, but I'm not sure I can tell a lot of difference between 5 frames and 3 frames covering the same range -- it's hard to compare with the resolution of the D600 being so much greater, and the low light capabilities so much better. My question is, do you find the additional frames all that significant for HDR?

Bob

---------------
View my photo gallery: http://www.bobbergey.com

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Wed 20-Feb-13 11:20 PM
#7. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Bob,

I got the Promote Control because it can captures a bracket much faster than the CamRanger. You need to get the optional shutter release cord to get the faster capture speed. That makes two cords going to the camera.

I believe 5 or more frames are necessary for good HDR images. With the Promote Control you can capture many more images in a bracket. I can now capture as many as 30 brackets at 1/3 stops if I want.

I have not yet had a change to shoot with the Promote Control, but when I do I will post some images.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

CopyKatnj Registered since 26th Nov 2013Tue 26-Nov-13 11:14 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I've read this thread because I find myself with the same
choice of Promote Control vs Camranger.

After almost a year with Promote Control do you still think
that it was the better option or would you go back and buy
Camranger?

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Thu 28-Nov-13 05:06 PM
#9. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

I ended up getting both, but got the Promote Control fist for the faster HDR bracketing.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

SCvol81 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2013Mon 10-Feb-14 08:25 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 9

US

You got both? Interesting. Could you share why and which one you like the best at this point?

I've got the D600 also and am considering the Promote Control.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Fri 25-Apr-14 11:35 PM
820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 10

Hayes, US

There are some other cheap tricks.

Set up for three shoots bracketed then shoot three and set the exposure compensation up or down beyond the last set and shoot three more. You should be able to get a set of 6, 9, or 12. Not totally fast as possible but close. cost is free.

Other option. $29.00 shoot tethered off a Windows laptop and a Nikon USB cable. ControlMyNikon.com can do anything including an 85 shot focus stack. It does way more than CamRanger or Promote but not wireless. It does way more than Nikons tether as well. It also gives live view and a lot lot more. You just need a Windows laptop to connect.

If you want time lapse TriggerTrap ($33.00) off a mac laptop, iPhone or iPod using an audio adapter cable works. It can't do multiple fast exposures because it uses an audio interface to the Nikon USB to control the camera. It also can do wifi flash trigger cheap too. More of a time lapse tool but can do time lapse HDR too.

I've used both of these and they work well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Sat 26-Apr-14 04:36 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 11

Whitesboro, US

When I do my HDR work now I will use manual set my f stop for the DOF I want find the correct exposure take that photo. Then adjust shutter speed at least 3 stops up and 3 stops down. Giving me 7 exposures to work with. I I need more in the shadows I can go another couple of stops getting 9 total In most cases I will only use 5 photos in my final image

http://www.keeponshooting.com

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 27-Apr-14 02:15 AM
820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D600 and HDR"
In response to Reply # 12

Hayes, US

That is a pretty standard and solid approach. I don't think there is any thing better.

What I like about tethered is I'm seeing patterns overlaid on the live view on the laptop. I can see what is blown out before I shoot much like zebra stripes on a high end video camera. Seeing where the blacks and whites are going bad at any exposure will help you set the high and the low end of the range in the shot. You can see what shots you'll toss before you take them. You may find a better bracket set before you shoot them. Interior architecture is clearly lots of range.

With tethered you could shoot half stops not full ones in any quantity. Photomatix eats these up well. You could even do brackets time lapsed if you wanted to wait for the perfect light. Seeing the details before you pull the trigger makes it easier. You spend a little more time up front but you know you'll get it. You could go nuts and do brackets of 9 at 3 f stops. Automated you get 27 shots about as fast as they can be taken. It could even be scripted.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7585 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.