nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jtmcg

Simsbury, US
4120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Fri 23-Nov-12 02:56 PM

I bought SNS a while ago and have used it quite a bit on the ANPAT 12 photos I shot last month. I have not upgraded To Efex Pro 2 and wonder if anyone who has, could let me know what they think of it and what differences they see form the changes.

Attached is a comparison of a 5 frame sequence which was processed in both SNS and Efex Pro 1. Exposures -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

This is the inside of one of the pueblo rooms at Bandelier National Monument. I shot this sequence hand held. I had left my tripod back down the on the ground. Shutter speeds at f/11 ranged from 1/500s to 1/30s. Some observations:

1. The highlight area in front of the entrance is rendered better in SNS although there was some purple fringing which I cloned out for the most part. Note also some ghosting at the right end of the highlight in the Efex version. I did work on the Efex version with control points to try to bring out what detail is there because post merge it was mostly blown out. I've found that Efex Pro tends to blow out highlights vs. SNS. I have two versions of some pictures with clouds where the SNS rendered much better detail in the clouds. Even with some local adjustments in the HDR Efex 1 version, I wasn't able to pull out the detail I achieved in SNS before doing any processing after the merge and some areas in the Efex version were blown out and not recoverable.

2. The outside vegetation is much better in the SNS version. The image alignment in Efex pro was not as good. Since I did this hand held alignment is important.

3. The color in the SNS version is warmer but I didn't try to match the two versions colorwise. I basically stopped processing the image after trying to match the highlight area.

4. One further bit of information. I paid ~ $37 for SNS a few month ago. I don't know what the current price is but that's a lot less than I paid for HDR Efex Pro 1 and cheaper than an upgrade to Efex Pro 2. It's written by a Polish programmer and I used PayPal to purchase it.

D800, 14-24 f/2.8 @ 14mm, ISO 400

John

A. HDR Efex Pro 1

Click on image to view larger version

B. SNS
Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 brada Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
24th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 brada Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
24th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
25th Nov 2012
26th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 DAJolley Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 rosewood_ltd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012
          Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1 DAJolley Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012

G