Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7490
View in linear mode

Subject: "SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1" Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 02:56 PM
3542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"

Simsbury, US

I bought SNS a while ago and have used it quite a bit on the ANPAT 12 photos I shot last month. I have not upgraded To Efex Pro 2 and wonder if anyone who has, could let me know what they think of it and what differences they see form the changes.

Attached is a comparison of a 5 frame sequence which was processed in both SNS and Efex Pro 1. Exposures -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

This is the inside of one of the pueblo rooms at Bandelier National Monument. I shot this sequence hand held. I had left my tripod back down the on the ground. Shutter speeds at f/11 ranged from 1/500s to 1/30s. Some observations:

1. The highlight area in front of the entrance is rendered better in SNS although there was some purple fringing which I cloned out for the most part. Note also some ghosting at the right end of the highlight in the Efex version. I did work on the Efex version with control points to try to bring out what detail is there because post merge it was mostly blown out. I've found that Efex Pro tends to blow out highlights vs. SNS. I have two versions of some pictures with clouds where the SNS rendered much better detail in the clouds. Even with some local adjustments in the HDR Efex 1 version, I wasn't able to pull out the detail I achieved in SNS before doing any processing after the merge and some areas in the Efex version were blown out and not recoverable.

2. The outside vegetation is much better in the SNS version. The image alignment in Efex pro was not as good. Since I did this hand held alignment is important.

3. The color in the SNS version is warmer but I didn't try to match the two versions colorwise. I basically stopped processing the image after trying to match the highlight area.

4. One further bit of information. I paid ~ $37 for SNS a few month ago. I don't know what the current price is but that's a lot less than I paid for HDR Efex Pro 1 and cheaper than an upgrade to Efex Pro 2. It's written by a Polish programmer and I used PayPal to purchase it.

D800, 14-24 f/2.8 @ 14mm, ISO 400

John

A. HDR Efex Pro 1

B. SNS

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1
brada Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
24th Nov 2012
brada Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
cchoc Moderator
24th Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
cchoc Moderator
25th Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
rosewood_ltd Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
28th Nov 2012

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Fri 23-Nov-12 07:20 PM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Nov-12 07:20 PM by brada

US

I own both of these programs, plus Machinery (similar to SNS) & Photomatix (my least favorite), and the new version of Nik is very good. The alignment is much better than the first version, less halos and better noise. I recently went on a trip to photograph the fall foliage and I have used both programs because they lend themselves to different images. One nice advantage of SNS is the batch process feature since I shoot panoramas. Here are 2 images that I processed with SNS and Nik, similar but different.

SNS

Nik HDR Efex Pro 2

SMUGMUG gallery has been closed.

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 12:01 PM
3542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 1

Simsbury, US

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that the 2 programs lend themselves to different images. Looking at your images I see the characteristics of both programs in their respective images.

SNS - noticeably better cloud detail. This can be seen in the cloud formations in the center of the frame just above the trees and in the wispier clouds near the top of the frame.

Nik - the reds and yellows are more saturated in the fall foliage. There's also a bit more red in the fg rocks and dead grass. I found in comparing the renditions of my images of Bryce Canyon in the two programs that the orange and red rocks were more muted in SNS than in Nik.

I googled Machinery and see that it's also written by someone in Poland. It appears, as you say, to be similar to SNS. Do you find any differences worth noting between the results you get from Machinery vs. SNS?

John

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Mon 26-Nov-12 12:53 PM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I googled Machinery and see that it's also written by someone
>in Poland. It appears, as you say, to be similar to SNS. Do
>you find any differences worth noting between the results you
>get from Machinery vs. SNS?
>
>John

Both very natural looking programs and I struggled a little bit of controlling the noise with Machinery. Machinery did have some very cool tools, but is not as intuitive as SNS.

Brad

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberSat 24-Nov-12 06:27 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

I have Efex Pro 2 and Photomatix. I tried Efex Pro 1and wasn't impressed and still used Photomatix but since I tried and purchased Efex Pro 2 I use it the most. It is very much better than Efex Pro 1 in my opinion.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 02:30 PM
#4. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 3

Simsbury, US

Thanks for the feedback Charlie. What areas did you see improvement going from Efex Pro 1 to 2?

John

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberSun 25-Nov-12 05:05 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 4

Marietta, US

I never could get a result I liked with Efex 1, I could get close but never as good as Photomatix. The colors were off , the alignment was sometimes bad, etc. It's hard to quantify, but those problems were fixed in HDR Efex 2.

You can download an eval copy and check it out, that's what convinced me to buy - I never did buy Efex 1, I just did the trial and gave up on it.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 26-Nov-12 08:13 PM
#7. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 5

Simsbury, US

Thanks for the response Charlie.

>You can download an eval copy and check it out, that's what
>convinced me to buy - I never did buy Efex 1, I just did the
>trial and gave up on it.

I may do that.

John

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Tue 27-Nov-12 01:10 AM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have been using HDR Efex Pro 2 for about 6 weeks and just recently started using SNS. The major difference I see is that I can import RAW files into HDR Efex Pro 2 and they are processed through ACR which allows me to use Lens profiles, WB and CA adjustments. If I import RAW files into SNS, they are processed through dcraw without any adjustments. To use SNS effectively, I have to process my RAW files in ACR and save as Tiffs first.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Tue 27-Nov-12 06:22 PM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 8

Akron, US

I have been using HDR Efex Pro 2 since its release. I had previously used Photomatix and HDR Efex 1. I find "2" to be a significantly improved app compared to "1." The elimination/reduction of ghosting is markedly improved and I find the presets to be generally more useful. I tend not to do "over the top" post processing, preferring a more muted, but still enhanced appearance for detail, saturation and clouds. The addition of CA controls in "2" is also most welcome.

Although "1" definitely had its limitations, I generally preferred its output to Photomatix. I found it easier to get a more "natural" look with the Nik software, which is my strong preference. Overall, "2" does nearly everything I ask of it and I find it to have a friendly, easy to use interface. The control point capability for local manipulation of the HDR image is a significant plus for me also. Another thing I like about "2" is the inclusion of a neutral density gradient tool - I use that quite a bit.

Count me as a strong proponent of HDR Efex 2. It is one of my most-used post-processing tools.

Russ

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Zenfolio page: www.yellowcreekstudio.zenfolio.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 01:16 PM
#10. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 9

Simsbury, US

Dave, Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. All the comments I've read about HDR Efex 2 have been positive, so maybe I'll download the trial and try it out.

Dave - I have been importing the NEF files directly into SNS, but agree RAW (WB etc.) corrections would have to be made first.

Russ - I also prefer more natural looking HDR which is why I like SNS particularly when there are significant cloud formations. But as Brad noted the 2 programs lend themselves to different images. Note the clouds in Brad's 2 images above. Attached is another comparison between HDR Efex Pro 1 and SNS from last year's ANPAT at Bryce. The sky detail in SNS is significantly better. The SNS version is watermarked because I did it with the trial version. The rocks in the Efex version are oversatureated but that's my fault. I do like the Control Point capabilities in Efex and find them very useful.

John

1. HDR Efex Pro 1 version

2. SNS Version

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 08:59 PM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 10

US

John,
If you make NEF adjustments in ACR or LR, they are not imported into SNS. You have to process the NEF's and save them as Tiff's before importing to SNS. That's and extra step versus HDR Efex Pro 2.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 09:06 PM
#12. "RE: SNS vs. HDR Efex Pro 1"
In response to Reply # 11

Simsbury, US

Dave,

Agreed. I realize that the NEFs would have to be converted to TIFFs to be processed in
SNS.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7490 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.