Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7455
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunset at White Sands -- a Study" Previous topic | Next topic
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 02-Nov-12 03:26 PM
4577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunset at White Sands -- a Study"

Milwaukee, US

I offer 5 images. The first two images are experiments in more painterly image making using HDR Photomatix. The darker image is a combination of 11 exposures (that was just over the top for me and an obvious experiment) with the extensive range of multiple stops in each direction. The second and lighter image is a created from 5 images. Rarely do I venture into the less then natural look when doing HDR and most often use only three exposure with max of 2 EV differential, but I thought, why not. Lets see where it goes. The third image offered is a single more realistic rendering of the scene with a slightly different perspective (zoomed in) of the first image. The fourth image is a single exposure with it more or less matching the second image without using HDR. The fifth image, because I like it is a single exposure added for good measure. I think the comparisons in painterly HDR vs. traditional image making is an interesting study. I used a D700, 28-300mm lens, using manual exposure and white balance in the experiments with 1600 ISO. Tripod mounted on Gitzo Tripod with a Markin Q20 Ball Head. All other processing was done in Lightroom 4.2. I welcome any comments and discussion about these experiments.

Looking West (11 exposures with Photomatix and LR4) --

Looking East (5 exposures with Photomatix and LR4) --

Looking West (single exposure with LR4 only) --

Looking East (single exposure with LR4 only) --

Looking Northwest (single exposure with LR4 only) --

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 08:10 PM
4223 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunset at White Sands -- a Study"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nice experiment,John. I'll give my take and I'm sure others will have different opinions than mine.

I like both "looking west" images. The 1st I would crop out half the sky and make it panoramic.The 2nd (1 frame)I like as is and is my favorite of them.

I don't really care for the "looking east" pics but can vision the 1st(5 images) printed big and hanging on someones wall. The second just does not appeal to me at all as there is nothing in the sky and the ground is kind of bland looking to my eye.

The last image I also like but I may have lightened the sand a tad more,love the sky.
Thanks for posting this.

Rick

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 01:15 AM
1880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunset at White Sands -- a Study"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I really like both HDR images. If I were in charge of the cropping department I would cut some of the sky out of the HDR image "looking East" - I think it would be really effective with less sky.

I use HDR a lot as I believe, if done properly, it really can enhance an image, bring out significant texture and enhance color.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 13-Nov-12 01:18 AM
4577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunset at White Sands -- a Study"
In response to Reply # 2

Milwaukee, US

Thank you for commenting and the suggestion. Much appreciated!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) HDR software & hardware (Public) topic #7455 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.