Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rochester, US
2167 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Mon 12-Jan-09 01:21 AM | edited Mon 12-Jan-09 01:25 AM by dmenges

OK..... we all know when that dreaded haloing effect gets in the way of a good HDR conversion. I found this great tutorial including this bit of info (link below);

Here are a few things I do… although none of these are cast in stone:

Take that Strength bar up to 100%. We will dial it back down later in Photoshop. So, the result of this step will look a little overdone, but never fear, we’ll take it back within the norms of reason.

Watch out for the Color Saturation. It’s easy to get carried away.

I also like to slide the Luminosity bar over to the right as far as I can before it looks too flat. The further right the Lum bar is, the less halo effect you get as well. If you don’t know what the “Halo” effect is, you will soon enough - especially with daytime shots. Another way to combat that is with the next few steps I go through below.

I like to crank up the White Point and Black Point bars to give it some punch and contrast. See that histogram? Don’t be afraid of it? Continue to move the White Point and Black Point until you get MOST of that histrogram inside that little rectangle

Micro-Smoothing helps you get some nice contrast in the details. I often set it to zero and then clean up later in Photoshop if it gets a bit overzealous in parts of the picture.

All the other sliders I rarely touch, unless it is a finicky shot.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

Visit my Nikonians gallery.