Or do I wait for the market to settle in and pick up a nice, used D700 sometime later this year?
I wonder what you guys, being familiar with how the market has reacted to past new product introductions, are thinking the street price for a D700 will be later in the year when the D800's are flowing and D700's are getting sold off.
If I thought I could pick one up in the $1000 to $1250 range, I'd probably wait. If they are much more than that, I'll probably go with the D800.
#1. "RE: Eventual price of D700's?" In response to Reply # 0
Fort Worth, US
A D700 in that price range would, no doubt, be fairly well used. I do believe that unless you NEED video or HUGE prints, the D700 brand new for $2200 ain't a bad way to go right now. Because of the vast differences between the two bodies and the fact that even Nikon says the D800 is not a replacement for the D700, I think many people will keep their 700's and many will continue to buy them. If people shooting a 700 need a new body, they will have a decision to make. If they don't need a new body, I think a significant amount will wait. IMO the D4 makes more sense as a replacement for the D700 except of course for the huge price difference. Personally, if my 700 disappeared tonight I would buy another one tomorrow. If I were to add another body in the short term, it would be a D3s unless I win the lottery or Nikon gives us a D700s. I love my 700 and the 800 doesn't improve on the things that I love about the 700 enough for me to switch at all. But then again, that's just me. I don't think either body would be a mistake if you're wanting an FX camera, however. Good luck!