New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Sigma EX APO 120-300mm f/2.8 HSM IF zoom lens for Nikon + 1.4X and 2X teleconver - SOLD

simato73

Is from: Bollington (Cheshire), UK
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
simato73 Registered since 06th Jan 2005
Sun 20-Jul-14 06:36 AM | edited Wed 30-Jul-14 02:51 PM by reuben
My circumstances have changed and a smaller kit better serves my needs, so I am selling most of my Nikon FX equipment.

Here is for sale Sigma EX APO 120-300mm f/2.8 HSM IF zoom lens for Nikon AF D mount with dedicated 1.4X and 2X teleconverters.

This is the older version with an aperture ring and no image stabilisation.

It is fully compatible with all current Nikon cameras.
To achieve aperture control from the camera the ring must be set at the smallest aperture value, f/32, marked in red. The aperture ring can then be locked.
This lens covers the full-frame (FX) image circle but can also be used with DX cameras (where the field of view is equivalent to that of a is 180-450mm lens on FX format.
With the dedicated teleconverters (included, see below) the focal length goes up to 420mm with the 1.4X (630mm equivalent with DX cameras) and 600mm with the 2X (900mm equivalent with DX cameras).

The front and rear elements are unmarked and the view is clear and bright with no discolouration or fungal growth within the lens. The zoom ring is smooth and responsive and the aperture blades are free of oil.

Mechanically and cosmetically the lens is excellent.

It comes complete with the following items:

- Padded lens case

- Standard rear lens cap and front leather cover

- Lens carry strap

- Optional Sigma EX protective UV filter (105mm diameter);

- Optional improved Sigma lens collar (the original, smaller one is also included);

Main features:
The front element does not turn making the use of polarising filter much easier;
Internal focusing so the length of the lens does not change during focusing;
Japanese made, professional grade all metal lens;
Fast f/2.8 aperture across the whole zoom range.

In addition I am including the dedicated Sigma EX 1.4X and 2X teleconverters (TC).

Both TC's are mechanically and optically excellent.
Image quality with the 1.4X is essentially the same as the lens without TC. Focusing speed is also unaffected
The fit with the lens is very secure, however there is slight torsional play between the TC and the camera (a fraction of a mm).
In certain circumstances this can cause the contact with the camera to be lost (no aperture displayed, no focussing).
In that case it is sufficient to rotate a bit in the opposite direction to reinstate lens-camera communication.

The 2X has no such issues but as with any 2X TC image degradation is more visible. I would recommend using it only when you really need the 600mm.

Please note that using TC's makes a lens slower (with the 1.4X it becomes f/4 and with the 2X it loses a further stop of speed to f/5.6).

The 1.4X is supplied with all caps, soft pouch, papers and box; the 2X is provided only with the rear cap.

The fast aperture, fast focus and useful zoom range make this lens excel for sports and wildlife photography.

I am also selling a D700 DSLR and a number of lenses; please see my other listings.

The sale is final; no returns accepted unless the item does not match the description.

Selling only to the UK.
Asking price £950 shipped (Special Delivery) and Paypal'd.

See my gallery on Nikonians!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

G