New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Infra Red D40 For Sale

Tue 03-Jul-12 05:19 AM
IR Converted D40 - £350

Price includes next day delivery within the UK.

Camera is boxed, includes the excellent 18-55 kit lens (Perfect for IR) and is in perfect condition. I cannot see a mark on it.

This is my Nikon D40 which I converted myself using the Life Pixels standard Infrared sensor filter. Please see their website for details and excellent examples of what is possible.

Just for 100% clarity, please note: I took apart a normal, brand new D40 camera, removed the Nikon filter from the sensor and installed the Life Pixels IR Filter in it's place. I then put it all back together.

This camera does not function as a normal camera anymore as the filter is permanently in place. IT CAN ONLY TAKE IR PHOTOGRAPHS.

The D40 is actually a very good camera to use. The function buttons seem particularly well placed, the image quality is superb and the kit lens is remarkably good.

Using it as an IR camera is exactly like using a normal D40. AF works perfectly, metering works perfectly and shutter speeds are normal.
You do not need to place a huge red filter over the front of the camera after you have focussed; you do not need a tripod.
You just set a white balance (I've already done this) and point and shoot. The camera produces a very red image which you then play with in photoshop or Capture NX2 to get the desired colours and mood.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Richard

G