nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #4043
View in linear mode

Subject: "Baader U vs LUV U" Previous topic | Next topic
NanoMeter   US  Registered since 17th May 2012 Sat 19-Oct-13 06:51 AM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Baader U vs LUV U"

Two UV pass filters compared.
Filters: Baader U, and LUV U
Camera: D7000 full spectrum
Lens: Kuribayashi 35mm f/3.5

Each was shot in RAW, then white balanced in CNX2 using marquee.

Click on image to view larger version

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography   Weinheim, DE  Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007 Sat 19-Oct-13 07:25 PM
735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Baader U vs LUV U"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Oct-13 07:55 PM by kds315

Nice filter indeed, I had similar good results

and then to my surprise there were these results I still can't explain where that red comes from, white balancing or some leakage or what...

but only with that specific Zinnia flowers, other ones were fine

all shot using my CERCO quartz fluorite lens.

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NanoMeter   US  Registered since 17th May 2012 Sat 19-Oct-13 11:28 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Baader U vs LUV U"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 20-Oct-13 12:33 AM by NanoMeter

Thank you Klaus. Gee whiz, I have not seen any leak with the LUV U.
...and I have tried!
I don't have the same lens or the same camera you do.
I don't have photos of those same flowers.
I have shot comparisons of the two filters in various outdoor lighting situations, and I get very similar colors using my equipment (listed above).
From my experience, the Baader U and the LUV U work and look almost identical with no leaks.
The main difference is the Baader U tends to be about 1/3 stop faster.
5 seconds compared to 6 seconds for this example, aperture, ISO, lighting. These were shot in center weighted aperture priority mode.
But I have not detected any IR or other leaking from the LUV U,
and I have never seen anything like what you are showing.
You and I use dissimilar methods for white balance, but when using CNX2 Marquee White Balance I get almost identical color, and they are hard to tell apart.

Here is a comparison of the Baader U and the LUV U using the same arbitrary in camera preset white balance, before CNX2 marquee.
Even before the marquee they have quite similar color using my equipment, and although my Kuri 35mm lens doesn't transmit as deep into UV as does your Cerco lens, the Kuri 35mm is a fairly good lens for UV, and has as good or better UV transmission compared to the Noflexar 35mm and/or EL-Nikkor 80mm lenses.
So, I have no clue about your results.

Correction: I just remembered that this particular comparison was not shot with the Kuri 35mm lens, but rather with another lens that was kept a secret publicly.
The lens has similar transmission depth to the Kuri 35mm.
I would mention the lens by name, but I don't know what public status that lens has at this juncture, and it is not my discovery to publicize.
That being said, almost all of my UV testing with the Baader U and LUV U is done with the Kuri 35mm, which produces the same results.

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography   Weinheim, DE  Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007 Sun 20-Oct-13 11:22 AM
735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Baader U vs LUV U"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 23-Oct-13 07:28 PM by kds315

As I had mentioned, this special Zinnia flower was the only one I ever encountered that showed this reddish effect, otherwise both images were nearly all the time identical. I still up to today have no explanation for that...

Cheers, Klaus
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #4043 Previous topic | Next topic