Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3997
View in linear mode

Subject: "Orange or Blue?" Previous topic | Next topic
matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 09:07 PM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Orange or Blue?"

cambridge, US

Had another great opportunity to take some more portraits, this time at a leftist marching band celebration/parade of all places. Anyway I rarely get two "keepers" of a single person but I think each of these has some merit. I usually wouldn't consider a "no eyes" shot but this one kinda reminds me of a beautiful shot Cavy2 took of her daughter holding a cat awhile back. I've tried to replicate that feel ever since seeing Kathy's shot and this is the closest I've been able to come.

Anyway, your preference, c&c, etc. is welcome.

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Orange or Blue?
DrPaul1 Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Orange or Blue?
matcam Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
14th Oct 2013
DrPaul1 Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Oct 2013
kds315 Moderator
15th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
pixures Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
DrPaul1 Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
17th Oct 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
26th Oct 2013
matcam Silver Member
27th Oct 2013

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 09:25 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hallandale, US

Hi Matt,

I think both are terrific but I prefer the Blue.

I wonder if the orange is a crop or if she could be a little more centered? Also, perhaps a little retouching on her lower lids might help her look even better than you already captured her.

Definitely the Blue for me.

Paul http://www.paulsimonphotography.net

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 09:43 PM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Good eye one the composition, Paul. Orange is, indeed, a crop, made necessary by some clutter I neglected to deal with on site. I tried to place her head in the ROT point but you're right to sense some imbalance in the comp - I feel it as well. Now to go back to those lower eyelids!

Matt Murphy

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 09:59 PM
#3. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 2

cambridge, US

Here is Orange with some of Paul's suggested improvements.

Matt Murphy

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 14-Oct-13 10:04 PM
14604 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

They're both very nice shots, but if it were me, I would probably convert them to black and white. You'd still have wonderful skin tones, and a nice, soft look, but I think they'd look even nicer.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 10:44 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hallandale, US

Matt,

I like them both but still prefer the Blue. B&W is an interesting idea which I wish was my thought-all good things in time.

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 02:22 AM
#6. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 4

cambridge, US

Thanks for the idea Rick. When I do convert in Silver Efex Pro 2 would you recommend I start from scratch or go with what I've got now and tweak it from there? Or maybe just get the WB set in NX2 then take it from there to Sliver Efex Pro 2.

Matt Murphy

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Oct-13 02:46 AM
14604 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 6

Colorado Springs, US

I would get the white balance established and then in SEP2 vary the color filter range and strength until you get something close to what you want, followed by more subtle tonal adjustments.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 05:49 AM
704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

Weinheim, DE

These are very nice, yet I also propose to have a look at a bw version of it...

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 11:08 AM
#9. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Thanks folks. I'll try to work on the B&W versions tonight.

Matt Murphy

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Tue 15-Oct-13 07:16 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Matt,

The topic title lead me to think your were asking comments on the skin tones after I had looked at the first image but not yet the second image. In the first image, her skin tone does have a bit of vibrant orange as viewed in Firefox on my calibrated monitor. I looked at some of your other portraits and the skin tones appear to be a touch cooler and a touch less vibrant (or less saturated).

While BW rendering certainly is of interest, I wonder if taking a little glow of the skin tones or cooling might be another option.

I think both images have a lot of merit and are worth keeping

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 15-Oct-13 08:27 PM
#11. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Thanks Bill. I hadn't noticed the skin tone extremes before your comment. Once I see how they look in B&W, if I decide to keep some color I'll definitely address the skin tone issue. Always good to get c&c on this site - makes for better pictures this time and next.

Matt Murphy

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Thu 17-Oct-13 01:54 AM
#12. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Better late than never. Here's Blue in black & white. I'm not thrilled with my SEP2 skills but I did manage to get a version I can live with.

Matt Murphy

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Thu 17-Oct-13 11:56 AM
#13. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 12

Hallandale, US

Great job.

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Thu 17-Oct-13 12:11 PM
#14. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Thanks Paul. As I said when I posted it I'm not exactly head over heals with my conversion but I guess it will do.

Matt Murphy

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 26-Oct-13 12:04 PM
783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Matt,
Sorry I am so late to the party. These are great captures. I played with the orange photo a bit and like you, I had problems with Silver Effex Pro2. It seemed to be a little heavy-handed with the conversion. I worked on the eyes a little bit then used the PhotoShop black and white layer mask. You have lots of color in the image so I had a lot of room for BW adjustments.

Here is the result. This was pretty easy to do because you gave me some great starting material.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 27-Oct-13 04:23 PM
#16. "RE: Orange or Blue?"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Nice job Dan. I like it much more than my B&W conversion.

Matt Murphy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3997 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.