Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3989
View in linear mode

Subject: "Jupiter Island" Previous topic | Next topic
DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Sun 13-Oct-13 03:41 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Jupiter Island"

Hallandale, US

I spent a few hours on Jupiter Island and found these images interesting. Comments welcome.

Paul http://www.paulsimonphotography.net

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 13-Oct-13 06:00 PM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Jupiter Island"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Oct-13 06:03 PM by matcam

cambridge, US

Paul,

I really love one and two. The fully darkened road in #2 is a great element and I think works a bit better than the mixed road exposure in #1 but 1 has some great foliage exposure. As for the third shot, while the foreground is fine and I think the bright green ocean is a nice, creative touch, the clouds seem underexposed and overcooked. Did you do some vignetting on this one? If so, perhaps increasing the border exposure would help.

Speaking of overcooking, could I suggest a recipe for #2? I think the tree trunks at the far end of the alley could use a bit of selective brightening and adding some selective tonal contrast to all of the trunks and larger branches could make this really pop.

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Sun 13-Oct-13 06:58 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Jupiter Island"
In response to Reply # 1

Hallandale, US

Matt,

Thanks very much for your constructive comments. I made changes in two of the images and I feel that they are better.

I opened the shadows on the trees towards the rear which as you suggest, gives it more pop. Yes there was vignetting on the beach scene- i also opened up some of the shadows in the clouds at the periphery.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 14-Oct-13 09:24 PM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Jupiter Island"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Hey Paul,

Both are improvements in my opinion, especially the clouds in #3. As for #2, it looks to me like you raised the exposure of the whole scene which kinda takes away from the inherent drama in these alley shots. I hope you don't mind but thought I'd try my hand at only brightening the rear most trees and trying to keep as much light/dark contrast as I could.

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Mon 14-Oct-13 09:35 PM
#4. "RE: Jupiter Island"
In response to Reply # 3

Hallandale, US

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your efforts.

Paul http://www.paulsimonphotography.net

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3989 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.