nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3986
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help required" Previous topic | Next topic
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Sun 13-Oct-13 01:44 PM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help required"

I am very new to IR photography.

Please comment on my picture – does it look like a proper IR image? Am I missing out on something?

Rohinton

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help required RAJMiller Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Help required Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
     Reply message RE: Help required RAJMiller Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Oct 2013
16th Oct 2013
               Reply message RE: Help required NanoMeter
17th Oct 2013
17th Oct 2013
18th Oct 2013
                         Reply message RE: Help required ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Oct 2013
18th Oct 2013
                                   Reply message RE: Help required ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Oct 2013
                                   Reply message RE: Help required NanoMeter
19th Oct 2013

RAJMiller Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Boddelwyddan, UK  Nikonian since 05th Jun 2006 Mon 14-Oct-13 01:40 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi there, that is how a B&W Infrared photo looks. Are you using an Infrared filter or an adapted DSLR?

"I take photos of what I like, If
someone else likes it - that's a bonus!"
Andy M

Nikon D800 etc More than enough.
My Gallery http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Mon 14-Oct-13 02:54 PM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 1

I am using a D200 converted by Life Pixel using the Super Colour IR filter.

I just don''t know how to create a false-colour IR image.

I have created the required profile using the DNG Profile Editor from Adobe.

Would really appreciate step-by-step instructions to create coloured IR.

I am using Photoshop CS6

Thanks in advance.

Rohinton

RAJMiller Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Boddelwyddan, UK  Nikonian since 05th Jun 2006 Tue 15-Oct-13 08:01 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 2

Can i refer you to something I posted here in Nikonians about three years ago
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=214&topic_id=1354

I hope this helps - If you want = get back to me and I can direct you to some free photoshop actions for Infrared
Andrew

"I take photos of what I like, If
someone else likes it - that's a bonus!"
Andy M

Nikon D800 etc More than enough.
My Gallery http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Wed 16-Oct-13 04:49 AM
#4. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you RAJMiller,

Very useful information.

Rohinton

NanoMeter   US  Registered since 17th May 2012 Thu 17-Oct-13 01:51 AM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 4

Very nice image.
Your B&W IR looks like a 830nm/850nm IR shot, rather than a 590nm IR ("Super-Color") shot. So I am not sure how you are arriving at the B&W version. Regardless, here is the best process to use:

Shoot in RAW.
Load the RAW file (NEF file) into Nikon Capture NX2 (CNX2).
Camera Settings > White Balance > Set Color Temperature > Set Gray Point > Marquee Sample >
click Start
click/hold down mouse left button on upper corner of pic, hold down and drag to opposite bottom corner of pic, release button, wait.
This will optimally white balance the pic better than anything you can do in the camera or anywhere else.

Load that pic into Photoshop
Use CNX2 > file > Open With..
Or Save to TIFF file (16 bit), then open TIFF in Photoshop.

In Photoshop, basic process is this:
Auto-Levels
Swap the Red and Blue channels if you want to change the sky from brown to blue, and foliage from turquoise/blue to yellow.

Please view LifePixel's video tutorial page, watch video #10 down from top.

You may not own CNX2, but there are trial copies, so try it and you will like the way it works.

If you want the B&W look, then just stick with what you are doing, because it looks great.

You can also convert the color versions to B&W however you want, like with Photoshop, or in CNX2, etc..

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Thu 17-Oct-13 02:04 AM
#6. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 5

Thank you Steve.

I appreciate your help.

Rohinton

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Fri 18-Oct-13 04:43 AM
#7. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 5

Would it matter if Nikon Capture NX is used instead of NX2? Would I lose out on anything?

Rohinton

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:09 PM
9053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 18-Oct-13 12:13 PM by ericbowles

I think Capture NX has the capability to do channel swapping, but it has a lot less functionality than Capture NX2. I think upgrading to NX2 will give you a lot more flexibility in editing images.

This image would be a lot stronger if you could darken the path. You can do that with a color image in Capture NX2 before you convert to B&W.

Are you shooting monochrome images in your D200 or converting to B&W in post processing? I often shoot monochrome images in the camera, but edit the images by converting to a standard or neutral picture control and then editing using the color file. With a B&W file, selective editing is much more difficult and channel swapping is not possible.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:33 PM
#9. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 8

I am shooting in RAW and then converting to B&W in post-processing.

In the technical specifications of NX and NX2, it mentions 32-bit operating system. I am using Windows with 64-bit system. I have Capture NX (which I had taken off because it was too slow on my earlier computer) and now I will upgrade to NX2, after I get your confirmation that NX2 is okay with a 64-bit system. Thank you.

Rohinton

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:59 PM
9053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 9

There is no problem with Capture NX2 on 64 bit systems. I'm running Capture NX2 on Windows 8. The current version is much faster than NX or early NX2 versions.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

NanoMeter   US  Registered since 17th May 2012 Sat 19-Oct-13 12:56 AM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Help required"
In response to Reply # 9

I have not tried Capture NX, it is no longer for sale.
This link has a 60 day trial version of CNX2:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3986 Previous topic | Next topic