Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3983
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help required with WB setting . . . . or is it?" Previous topic | Next topic
geordienz Registered since 10th Oct 2013Fri 11-Oct-13 01:26 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help required with WB setting . . . . or is it?"

NZ

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with my Nikon D3200 which I had converted with a 590nm filter at Kolarivision.

Setting custom WB, I'm finding, is impossible by the in camera measurement technique (I'm not even sure how necessary this is, if I can set WB in NX2).
I've plumped for Incandescent setting based upon what I read on another forum, but despite this, and my use of NX2, I cannot get my foliage looking as white as some images I've seen here and elsewhere.
My original image looks, to me, more contrasty and reddish when compared to some "starting points" I've seen elsewhere.
What I'd really love is for someone to take one of my images and work it, so that I/they could establish where I'm going wrong.

Any help/advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 11-Oct-13 02:04 AM
14549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help required with WB setting . . . . or is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

The camera is more limited in its range than you can achieve in NX2, Capture One, Lightroom/ACR and other raw converters. For that reason, I set a fixed white balance in Lightroom/ACR as part of my infrared camera default rather than having it read the in-camera setting. It then opens up looking just about right. If I open it up in NX2, it's very red, but I can adjust the white balance.

BTW, I don't usually white balance foliage with a camera in that spectral range, but something like a cloud or other "neutral" or grey subject. I'll then use a black and white conversion process that uses a yellow or orange filter equivalent. With something like a 720nm or 830nm-converted camera, I'll white balance foliage. Those conversions typically aren't a problem to white balance in-camera.

I'd be happy to look at a raw file if you'd like.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3983 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.