Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3979
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone using an IR D800 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Thu 10-Oct-13 08:44 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone using an IR D800 ?"

Macedonia, US

Contemplating switch my D90 IR to a D800 IR. Looking for anyone that may be using a D800 IR already.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?
walkerr Administrator
10th Oct 2013
LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
14th Oct 2013
15th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Oct 2013
DSC Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
15th Oct 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Oct 2013
15th Oct 2013
DSC Silver Member
15th Oct 2013
ericbowles Moderator
18th Oct 2013
23rd Oct 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 10-Oct-13 08:48 PM
14391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Oct-13 09:46 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Yes, I have a D800 that's been converted to Super Color IR. Works very well.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Thu 10-Oct-13 10:54 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Macedonia, US

Thanks for the quick reply, Rick. If possible could you email me a couple of full resolution files from it so I can take a look? Doesn't have to be any outstanding imagery, just a landscape or two with some details in the scene. I'm looking to upgrade my D90 IR to a D800 IR and just want to see what the full res files look like.

Have you happened to take any shots with it through a 715/720nm or higher cutoff IR filter over the lens?

Has anyone out there done that, or have a D800 that was converted to 715/720nm?

Thanks

Luis Gonzalez

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 14-Oct-13 10:46 PM
14391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 14-Oct-13 11:30 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Just send me your e-mail ID separately, and I'll send you a compressed DNG that's full size.

I've used an IR filter with it a few times after it was converted to super color IR, and it works fine via Live View. As you would guess, you can't see anything through the optical viewfinder when the filter is attached. When the filter is on the lens, the results look much like an 830nm-converted camera - very little color. You also lose light, just like on an 830nm-converted camera. I never used the D800 camera with an IR filter before it was converted.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Tue 15-Oct-13 12:12 AM
#5. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Macedonia, US

I'm considering converting a D800 to full spectrum and using various filters on it to limit the spectrum I'm grabbing. all three cameras I have converted in the past were all to 720nm. while I like the look at that wavelength cutoff, I don't want to be limited this time around so it's interesting to see how the d800 is producing different results through different filtration.

Luis Gonzalez

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Oct-13 01:01 AM
#6. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Just sent the file.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

DSC Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2009Mon 14-Oct-13 11:24 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Here's an image shot with a D800 with a Hoya R72 (720nm) IR filter fitted on an 18-70mm DX lens:

Here's almost the same scene shot a few minutes later, without the IR filter:

I also shot the same scene with a D70 body, same lens and IR filter - is was at least 3 stops more sensitive, but the image quality (and obviously resolution) was better on the D800. Older cameras such as the D70 are known for having a less effective IR-blocking filter built in.
Happy to give links to the full res files on dropbox or something if you're interested.
Regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Tue 15-Oct-13 03:13 AM
#7. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Macedonia, US

Thank you for posting those shots, Paul. Very interesting scene.
My main interest is in converting a D800 to full spectrum use ( having the IR/UV blocking filter in the camera replaced with a full pass-through filter ) and then using different types of IR filters over the lens and also getting a UV capable lens, rather than use a stock camera. As you know, the exposure times get quite long when using stock cameras, especially newer ones as you pointed out. Although I'm curious to compare your stock camera IR shot with one Rick sent me from his converted camera. Any chance you can email me a full resolution file of that top one for comparison?

Luis Gonzalez

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Oct-13 04:06 AM
#8. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

Keep in mind that his shot was made with a DX lens, so you won't get the same resolution that you would with a lens that covered the entire frame.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Tue 15-Oct-13 04:16 AM
#9. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Macedonia, US

I'll just look at the center portion of the frame.

Luis Gonzalez

DSC Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2009Tue 15-Oct-13 09:16 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Luis - here are the RAW and JPEG files as they came out of the camera:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16631763/DSF_1057_IR-Windmill_Paul.zip
That's an interesting conversion you're looking at - I was thinking of converting my old D70 to have the existing IR/UV filter replaced with a visible-light & UV blocking filter. Your full spectrum conversion seems to give you lots of creative flexibility.
I certainly need long exposure times with the D800 and R72 filter - 12 stops slower for this shot!
Best regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 18-Oct-13 11:28 AM
8468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I've been looking at converting a V1 to full spectrum and using it in the manner you suggest. The big advantages of the V1/V2 are the electronic viewfinder (so the viewfinder is not opaque with IR filters) and contrast detect AF (so you get accurate AF without calibration). Klaus generally converts his cameras to full spectrum and uses appropriate filters for maximum control of both UV and IR images.

I expect you know that you will need a UV/IR blocking filter to use the camera for conventional photography.

The image on an unconverted camera is likely to have a little visible spectrum light leakage depending on the filter used. If you use an 830nm filter, you have a lot more light loss and end up with an exposure of around 8 stops difference from visible light. With an exposure that long, you need to be very careful about light leakage through the lens and the viewfinder.

I have a converted D600 as well as converted D200. The D600 is a terrific camera for IR and the cost is much less than a D800.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005Wed 23-Oct-13 01:42 AM
#12. "RE: Anyone using an IR D800 ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Macedonia, US

Hi Eric - Thanks for the pointers and those are some very valid observations.

I'm interested in seeing some full res shots from that converted D600 of yours to compare against the full res shots other Nikonians have been so gracious to send me from their converted D800s. I had contemplated perhaps going with a converted D600 instead and I am now more curious to see the differences in output and resolution.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3979 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.