Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3949
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggestions requested" Previous topic | Next topic
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Sat 05-Oct-13 01:37 PM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suggestions requested"

Mumbai, IN

I had my D200 converted for Infrared using Super Colour IR filter (Life Pixel). The focus settings were done as per Nikon's 18-70mm lens, which I had not sent to them. I thought I would buy the lens when the camera came back. They also mention that if you are going to use a 18-70mm Nikon lens, you need not send it to them.

Now the problem is that I am unable to find a 18-70mm Nikon lens here in Mumbai, India. So, till I get one such lens, I am using my 50mm f/1.8 lens or my 12-24mm Nikon lens. The 12-24 does not have an IR mark and so I am adjusting the focus away from infinity, by trial and error. Just hoping that my images would be sharp. This of course is not right but does anyone have some suggestions till I can procure a 18-70mm lens.

Attached is my first trial. I have created a Custom White Balance using a 18% grey card in sunlight but the attached picture was shot rather late in the evening.

Rohinton

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 08-Oct-13 03:53 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggestions requested"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Oct-13 04:07 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Rohinton,
The photo looks good. The focus is a little soft but not unpleasantly so. Nice work!

You may have some difficulties with hotspots when you use the 50mm f/1.8 AFD and the 12-24mm zoom. I don't know how the 50mm f/1.4 performs in IR.

Hotspots usually occur when the aperture gets smaller. We tend to use smaller apertures in order to increase the depth of focus and thereby compensate for any slight focusing errors. You might want to check out the IR Lens Database in this forum to see how your lenses perform in the IR spectrum.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=214&topic_id=122&mesg_id=122&page=

I and others have had good luck with the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens on an IR camera that is calibrated for the 18-70mm lens. Images get a little soft at the long end but it performs well. You may be able to acquire this lens in Mumbai.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have a great time with your IR camera.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Tue 08-Oct-13 07:42 AM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggestions requested"
In response to Reply # 1

Mumbai, IN

Thank you Dan.

I shall try for some more time to get a 18-70mm lens; if not, I shall get a 18-200mm.

Rohinton

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 09-Oct-13 01:30 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Suggestions requested"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Congratulations on your converted camera. IR opens up another world for photographers.

The 18-70 is just a reference point for AF - you can use the same settings for the 16-85, 18-200, or many other lenses. They use the midpoint of the 18-70 - or approximately 44mm for focus. You may need to adjust a little as you move to extremes from the midpoint of the 18-70. 200mm will have a distinct focus shift. 16mm will have a focus shift the opposite direction, but will be largely offset by the huge depth of field for wide lenses. I'd avoid subjects that require precise focus without live view or lots of patience.

I have a copy of the 50mm f/1.4 D that does not have a problem with hotspots until you get to higher apertures. I'm fine until about f/9-f/11.

Hotspots are normally an issue at narrower apertures. At f/9 to maybe f/11, they tend to be less of an issue. It varies a lot by lens. My 24-70 has terrible hotspots at f/6.3 and above.

Normally Lifepixel sets a custom WB on the D200 when they make the conversion. It's simply listed as a custom WB when you scroll through the options. I think you can pretty safely use their WB for most situations. Otherwise you may need to set a WB in post processing.

It may be helpful to set the cameras picture control to Monochrome in order to get used to what the camera sees. It certainly provides an idea of a B&W conversion.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Wed 09-Oct-13 03:13 AM
#4. "RE: Suggestions requested"
In response to Reply # 3

Mumbai, IN

Thank you Eric, that's a lot of important info.

Rohinton

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3949 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.