nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3907
View in linear mode

Subject: "Witch Hats - Edited" Previous topic | Next topic
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Mon 30-Sep-13 01:46 AM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Witch Hats - Edited"
Mon 30-Sep-13 11:05 PM by domer2760

Edited 30 Sep 2013 to include the pre-BW conversion image

It was raining today so I tried (once again) to reproduce the chiaroscuro lighting effect of the master painters. The scene was lit by a single candle. A large reflector was positioned above and to camera right to give a little fill light. This was the only light for the shot. Without the candle, the image was black. Image was converted to BW with Silver Efex Pro 2.

D90IR (590nm), Nikkor 20mm AFD, f/4, 1/4 sec, ISO 400.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

}[br />My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit
30th Sep 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited pixures Silver Member
02nd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited DrPaul1 Silver Member
02nd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Oct 2013
03rd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited matcam Silver Member
03rd Oct 2013
03rd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Witch Hats - Edited tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Oct 2013
04th Oct 2013

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit   Newtown, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006 Mon 30-Sep-13 11:20 PM
4771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Dan,
The B&W in my opinion has much more drama. I like the details of the foreground/table front, and shadows. Very creative!

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Thu 03-Oct-13 02:41 PM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Kathy. I like the BW version best too. I wanted the shadows to be a prominent element in the scene and the BW version brings them out more.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Wed 02-Oct-13 01:38 AM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 0

The shadows on the wall in the B&W really work.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

DrPaul1 Silver Member  Hallandale, US  Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013 Wed 02-Oct-13 11:01 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Dan,

I feel that you have very nicely demonstrated the effect you were after. Not only is the contrast apparent between light and shadows but their is a more perceptible depth to the image as a result.

Paul

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Thu 03-Oct-13 02:48 PM
#8. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 3

Paul,
Thank you for your kind comments. I had not considered the depth aspect.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Thu 03-Oct-13 02:46 PM
#7. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks Bill. I created the shadows to add drama and make the photo less like a strange catalog photo. I appreciate your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

matcam Silver Member  cambridge, US  Nikonian since 31st May 2007 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:51 AM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice Dan. Almost all of my IR shots rely on available light but you really have a talent for bringing your own. Both versions have their strengths but I'm partial to the B&W.

Is that a poppy on the table between the hats and, if so, may I assume it is intended to allude to the Wicked Witch of the West?

Matt Murphy

My Flickr Setshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Thu 03-Oct-13 02:58 PM
#9. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Matt. You are very perceptive. Unfortunately, the flowers were Brown Eyed Susans that were well beyond their prime. The girzzled, naked stems were colected from the neghbor's flower garden. Yes, I was alluding to the Wicked Witch of the West. Good catch.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Land O Lakes, US  Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011 Thu 03-Oct-13 01:02 AM
1925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 0

I really like the B&W version. Too bad there isn't an empsty wooden bucket and a half burned broom in the scene! Dorothy would be proud.

Tom

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Fri 04-Oct-13 12:17 AM
#10. "RE: Witch Hats - Edited"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Tom. The setup you describe would be fun to shoot. One of my coworkers made a leather hat and a broom for a High School production of the Wizard of Oz. Her daughter was the Wicked Witch of the West. I don't think she would allow me to set fire to the broom.

Speaking of brooms, when I came downstairs on Monday morning the broom was still "hovering" in the window. Thought I would share this snapshot even though it has nothing to do with infrared photography.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3907 Previous topic | Next topic