nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3863
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cleveland Skyline" Previous topic | Next topic
pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Mon 23-Sep-13 06:06 PM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cleveland Skyline"

Here's an often photographed view of the Cleveland Skyline and Veteran's Memorial Bridge.

For those interested, the shot was taken from the west side of the Cuyahoga River just to the north of the Center St Bridge.

I kept the faux color rendering as well as the B&W.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline DrPaul1 Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
23rd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline fisherd80fun Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
Reply message Know the spot well :-) LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Know the spot well :-) pixures Silver Member
12th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member
13th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline pixures Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
     Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member
14th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Cleveland Skyline jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
30th Oct 2013

DrPaul1 Silver Member  Hallandale, US  Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013 Mon 23-Sep-13 08:32 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Bill,

I enjoy both renderings. For me, the contrast in the B&W version is very well done and is very appealing. The white really pops against the dark background.

Paul

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Ann Arbor, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010 Mon 23-Sep-13 09:51 PM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Bill,
Both of these are well done. I personally like the color version. The blue and gold with whispy clouds gives a surreal feeling. That said, I would be happy with either photo in my portfolio.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

}[br />My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Mon 23-Sep-13 10:19 PM
53588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice.

Both are well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

fisherd80fun Silver Member  Essex, US  Nikonian since 23rd May 2009 Mon 07-Oct-13 04:01 AM
500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Nicely done.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member  Macedonia, US  Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005 Thu 10-Oct-13 08:43 PM
939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Know the spot well :-)"
In response to Reply # 0

I shoot many a wedding and portrait there...

I also have a converted D90, although to 715nm. Let's touch base, maybe we can do an IR photo shoot sometime. I know several other IR photographers in this area and we get together on occasion.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Sat 12-Oct-13 03:54 AM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Know the spot well :-)"
In response to Reply # 5

Luis,

Thanks. Please send a private message when you are having an outing.

Bill N.

>I shoot many a wedding and portrait there...
>
>I also have a converted D90, although to 715nm. Let's touch
>base, maybe we can do an IR photo shoot sometime. I know
>several other IR photographers in this area and we get
>together on occasion.
>
>Luis Gonzalez
>Everlasting Photography, Inc.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Sun 13-Oct-13 12:49 PM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Both the versions are excellent.

Which IR filter is your camera converted to?
Would you mind explaining step by step your workflow? It would certainly help newbies like me.

Rohinton

pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Mon 14-Oct-13 01:47 PM
#8. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 7

Rohinton,

Thanks.

My camera is a D90 with a LifePixel Super Color Filter. The major steps of my workflow are as follows:

1. White balance in post processing using NX2 since my camera can not auto WB
  2. Import into LR for cataloging, and on a case by case basis, I may adjust exposure, shadows, and highlights (based on experience)
  3. Open in Photoshop
  4. Swap Red/Blue channel
  5. Adjust levels if necessary
  6. Adjust Hue and Saturation to taste on the Faux Color version
  7. Use photosop tools and plugins such as Color Efex, Viveza, and/or Topaz Clarity if desired; with masking as necessary
  8. If I like the Faux Color, will sharpen and save it, and undo the sharpen
  9. I convert to BW using NIK Silver eFex and sharpen the BW if necessary
  10. flatten the Photoshop layers and save
  11. perform final tuning of the image in LR if necessary

While the above describes the major parts of my workflow, I must admit in reality the workflow is a not a true step by step recipe. By that I mean my actual processing of any particular image is a little more free form using additional steps or skipping steps as the image requires. As my grandmother always would do when she was baking - no written recipe, use a dash of this, a pinch of that, and stir until you like the taste. Pastry never tasted exactly the same when baked, but it was still really good.

There is a pinned topic by Rick describing how to WB in Lightroom and Photoshop. I have used his method with some degree of success. Now that NX2 is running more reliably on my desktop, I have used NX2 more recently. WB using either method has relative advantages and has been discussed in other topics in this forum.

>Both the versions are excellent.
>
>Which IR filter is your camera converted to?
>Would you mind explaining step by step your workflow? It would
>certainly help newbies like me.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member  Mumbai, IN  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002 Mon 14-Oct-13 02:04 PM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 8

Thank you for the detailed workflow.

I am not using NX2. I have created a profile for my D200IR using Adobe's DNG Profile Editor so that I can work using PS instead of NX2.

Rohinton

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Milwaukee, US  Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009 Wed 30-Oct-13 05:08 PM
5319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Cleveland Skyline"
In response to Reply # 0

Both are lovely.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3863 Previous topic | Next topic