Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3819
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lighthouse at a Distance" Previous topic | Next topic
pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Mon 16-Sep-13 05:16 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lighthouse at a Distance"
Mon 16-Sep-13 05:16 AM by pixures

US

Seeking comments - I am really not sure if I like these or want to send them to the bit bucket.

I shot these images of the Lorain Lighthouse on Lake Erie back in May. The sky was kind of wild that night and I was happy with this image of reed grass in the wind (IR) and this set of images of the Lighthouse as the sun went down.

Is the foreground too busy? Is the foliage too much of a distraction?

Thanks in advance for looking.

Faux color

B&W

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lighthouse at a Distance
factotum
16th Sep 2013
DrPaul1 Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
pixures Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
pixures Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
16th Sep 2013
NanoMeter
16th Sep 2013
DrPaul1 Silver Member
16th Sep 2013
pixures Silver Member
17th Sep 2013

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Mon 16-Sep-13 05:28 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What is the subject? Rocks? Sky? House? Too many competing elements here. Simplify, simplify simplify.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 01:19 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 1

Hallandale, US

I like the B&W image very much. Perhaps when you are in silver efex, you might use their vignette or borders edit to try and direct attention to the lighthouse. I also like the detail in the rocks.

Paul

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Mon 16-Sep-13 03:31 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 16-Sep-13 03:45 PM by pixures

US

Thanks Paul and Charles. I'll work on a revision of the B&W to bring attention to the bright area around the Lighthouse and dim the foliage and rocks a bit. I'll post after it is done. The faux color version doesn't warrant further time... On second look it doesn't work for me period.

The current view has already cropped the left and bottom foliage and rocks. Given the original picture size, I don't think I can do much more cropping.

In retrospect, I think I should have composed differently. I probably should have positioned myself further back thus making the foliage and foreground rocks smaller in relationship to the Lighthouse to create a small and less obtrusive natural frame on the lighthouse and bright light coming thru the dense clouds.

Composition is so important and I continue to learn.

Thanks

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Mon 16-Sep-13 06:10 PM
#4. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Version 2 based on comments - which I appreciated

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 16-Sep-13 09:10 PM
52125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 4

East Frisia, DE

Very nice version

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Mon 16-Sep-13 09:15 PM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 16-Sep-13 09:21 PM by NanoMeter

US

I think it only really matters how you like it.
I like the black and white version best (either B&W version), it would easily make a fantastic cover for some book.
It has a slightly mysterious feel to it for me.
I think you mentioned you used CNX2 on your windmill pic, is that correct?
Do you shoot in RAW?
My basic process is to shoot in raw, load the NEF into CNX2, do a marquee white balance, and go from there.

DrPaul1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2013Mon 16-Sep-13 10:27 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 6

Hallandale, US

I like the B&W very much. If you don't want it, I'll gladly take it. I have looked at your images on your site and am very impressed.

Paul

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2009Tue 17-Sep-13 02:08 AM
#8. "RE: Lighthouse at a Distance"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Steve,

While I agree it is ultimately about "how I like it", there are times when the fresh eyes of others will see something about an image that represents an opportunity for improvement. In this case I do feel I got some good input on this and another forum. I thank everyone for that.

I shoot exclusively raw. I WB in either CNX2 or LR using a custom profile. I'm still settling in on my workflow having used CNX2 in the last batch and LR in the batch before that.

After WB, I drop into PS and use whatever feature in PS or plug-in I feel appropriate.

>I think it only really matters how you like it.
>I like the black and white version best (either B&W
>version), it would easily make a fantastic cover for some
>book.
>It has a slightly mysterious feel to it for me.
>I think you mentioned you used CNX2 on your windmill pic, is
>that correct?
>Do you shoot in RAW?
>My basic process is to shoot in raw, load the NEF into CNX2,
>do a marquee white balance, and go from there.
>

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3819 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.