nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #370
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX and Infrared Processing" Previous topic | Next topic
jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Sat 30-Aug-08 05:38 PM
629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX and Infrared Processing"

Crestwood, US

After I got my IR-converted camera back I googled long and hard to find a workflow that would mimic the Blue-Green channel swap one can easily accomplish with Photoshop's channel mixer. There is no channel mixer on Capture NX 2.0, so I wondered how it might be done.

First of all, I love Capture NX 2.0. It is the best way to work with Nikon's RAW files (NEF). I use Capture NX 2.0 for all my processing and only go to PS CS3 if I need to do pixel editing (cloning, etc.).

So is there a way to process infrared NEFs with Capture NX? Yes, there is. I'm not going to tell you how to do all of the processing. Just the part that relates to images captured with your IR-converted camera. I have Nikon D70s with an "enhanced color" IR conversion from LifePixel. But what I outline here applies just as well to standard IR conversions as well. Here it is:

1. In the "Develop" section of your "Edit List" tool bar on the right, open "camera settings" and set your white balance. I do it with "set grey point" and use the marquee tool. Find the "green foliage" part of your image and set that as your grey point.

2. While in the "Camera Settings" go to "Picture Control" and chose "Vivid."

3. Then click the "Advanced" toggle just below "Picture Control," go to the "Saturation" slider and drag it all the way up to "9."

4. Now, here's the cool part. Click on the "New Step" button. Select "Color" and then "LCH" from the pull down menus.

5. Click on the pull down menu that says "Master Lightness" and choose "Hue." That will bring up a colored hue box. Below the box there's another pull down menu. Click that and select 180. Notice that the hues have all slanted.

6. Go to the triangular slider on the right side of the box. Slide it about two-thirds of the way up until the red and blue channels are switched. Watch your image. You'll want to experiment with the best place to put that slider. The red sky has now become blue.

7. Once you've done this you can tweak the image any way you want with black and white points, more color points, curve adjustments, black and white conversion, etc.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing
chimphappyhour
31st Aug 2008
kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography
31st Aug 2008
jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
09th Sep 2008
rockawaybirder
21st Jun 2009
jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
22nd Jun 2009
rockawaybirder
22nd Jun 2009
bigjohn
23rd Jun 2009
rockawaybirder
23rd Jun 2009
rockawaybirder
23rd Jun 2009
bigjohn
24th Jun 2009
rockawaybirder
24th Jun 2009
bigjohn
24th Jun 2009
Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit
22nd Jul 2010
rockawaybirder
22nd Jul 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
23rd Jul 2010
slothead Gold Member
02nd Aug 2010
slothead Gold Member
18th Aug 2010
nightcat
18th Aug 2010
NanoMeter
23rd Mar 2013
slothead Gold Member
03rd Apr 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th May 2013
NanoMeter
07th May 2013
NanoMeter
06th May 2013

chimphappyhour Registered since 23rd Mar 2006Sun 31-Aug-08 05:37 AM
652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Liberty, US

Great write-up! As I told you before, that bit about the LCH editor was the final key for me. I think you nailed everything and I'm happy to have one less thing I have to do the convoluted way in gimp.

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007Sun 31-Aug-08 10:33 AM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Weinheim, DE

Great write-up indeed Jeff!
I took teh liberty to pin it, so it will be easily available for others, too!

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Tue 09-Sep-08 03:26 PM
629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 2

Crestwood, US

Thanks, Klaus. I hope it helps.

The only caveat I might add is that using "picture control" for "vivid" and ratchetting the saturation all the way up to nine (steps # 2 and 3) are, of course, optional. They work for me on most images. But I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my "color enhanced" IR conversion or not.

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Sun 21-Jun-09 10:56 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA and Rockaway Beach, US

Jeff,

I was following your steps with my newly converted D200 IR camera and I am not really seeing the wonderful conversion of my image. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Perhaps I will try to see what I get when I use my older D70 standard conversion camera and see if I have any better success with your method.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Ilene Samowitz
www.ilenesamowitz.com
www.ilenesamowitzphoto.com
http://blog.ilenesamowitzphoto.com/

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Mon 22-Jun-09 02:28 AM
#5. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 4

Crestwood, US

Ilene,

Looking at this image I would say that the original exposure probably has some issues. That being said, I'm not suggesting that once you go through the steps I have outlined you will have perfect images. You may still have to do some lighting, contrast, and color adjustments. I always do.

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 22-Jun-09 02:47 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Jeff for your feedback. I have uploaded the original file as well as a black and white converted file for the same image. I think the original file looks fine. If you don't perhaps I am having issues with my newly converted camera.

Ilene Samowitz
www.ilenesamowitz.com

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

bigjohn Basic MemberTue 23-Jun-09 10:22 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 6

Aurora, US

It looks as if you don't have your white balance set right when you are taking your IR pictures. I too have a D200 IR converted camera which you will find out isn't the best Nikon to convert.

You need to manually set your white balance before taking your IR pictures. You won't have to "convert" to B&W if it's set correctly.

John K Clark
www.johnkclarkphotography.com

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 23-Jun-09 10:41 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

I will look more closely at that but I thought it looked good. Why do you not like the D200 IR Conversion? Which cameras do you like?

Other people's thoughts on camera conversions?

Ilene Samowitz
www.ilenesamowitz.com

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 23-Jun-09 10:41 PM
#9. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

I will look more closely at that but I thought it looked good. Why do you not like the D200 IR Conversion? Which cameras do you like?

Other people's thoughts on camera conversions?

Ilene Samowitz
www.ilenesamowitz.com

bigjohn Basic MemberWed 24-Jun-09 12:01 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 9

Aurora, US

It's not that I don't like my D200 IR but even Lifepixel will tell you it's not the best camera to convert. I had an extra (was my backup) D200 so I had it done.

You should point your camera at grass and set the white balance manually. It will get rid of the red tint and you won't have to do anything to get the B&W. Here's one.

John K Clark

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 24-Jun-09 03:39 AM
#11. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 10

I thought that with enhanced color IR cameras you need to swap channels. Is yours a deep B&W? Interesting about Life Pixel. I did not see or hear anything but positive about D200 conversions. Does anyone else have input on the pros and cons of D200 conversions? Also what is the best cameras to convert to IR particularly enhanced color? Thanks,
Ilene Samwowitz
wwww.ilenesamowitzphoto.com
www.ilenesamowitz.com

bigjohn Basic MemberWed 24-Jun-09 01:28 PM
#12. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 11

Aurora, US

There weren't all the different options for converting when I had mine done. Mine is full B&W (deep B&W IR). You can go to www.lifepixel.com, they have a lot of information on their site.

From what I have read and have been told the Nikon D70 (maybe D70s) is the best camera to convert.

John K Clark

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Thu 22-Jul-10 12:19 PM
4710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 12

Newtown, US

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the info, Can't wait to give it a try.

Ilene, I was told by Daniel at Lifepixel that the D200 was one of the best for conversions because of the noise ratio in the D70. I know you have converted both. With the super IR conversion, it's all about setting the custom WB. I use a digital gray card, works like magic.

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

rockawaybirder Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 22-Jul-10 01:47 PM
#14. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 13

Now that I am using a green card for custom white balance before sshooting at different light conditions, my results have greatly imporved. I prefer the D200 over the D70 because it has nicer images and now the white balance issue is no longer a concern.
Ilene Samowitz
www.ilenesamowitz.com
Seattle, WA
Rockaway Beach, OR

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 23-Jul-10 12:26 PM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

I need to comment on this even though it is an old post. There may be some advantages to converting a D70, but I can't support the D70 over a D200.

The D200 is the camera of choice for most professionals - Tony Sweet and Vincent Versace for starters. The reason is the more robust camera body, larger number of pixels in the image, type of sensor, and wider range of controls.

The D300 has pluses and minuses. Live View can be a huge advantage. But the sensor is viewed as being less responsive to IR than the older model sensor. The D700 is also a good option but I only know of one person who has a converted D700. I think the jury is still out but will ultimately view these cameras positively because of Live View and low noise.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 02-Aug-10 02:38 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Jeff,
I had a hard time at first following your process, but then this evening I got it to work. I suspect that it doesn't work quite4 as well as the PS color mixer, but then it doesn't cost $600+

The "from" condition:

to the "now" condition:

What do you think?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 18-Aug-10 11:33 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 16

Frederick, US

Well I've made a lot of progress since I posted the above images. Not only have I learned the process that Jeff explained, but I'd like to add a couple steps to the process.

After the color/LHC/Hue/180 and sliding the color slider, I would add altering the brightness/contrast as a "new step" as well as increasing the focus detail by invoking the unsharp mask (another "new step"). With the unsharp mask, I have had the best luck with intensity set to about 45-50, radius at about 20-25 and leaving the threshold where it is.

Here are some results of this processing.

Pre PP:

After PP:

Tom

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Wed 18-Aug-10 04:51 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 17

LaCrosse,WI, US

Hi Tom,

Instead of Unsharp Mask, you might want to try this "clarity" step.

High Pass filter. radius 20. Opacity, Luminance 80 Chromanance 50. The exact values, especially the radius, will vary by picture size and personal taste.

Nice shot, btw.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 12:40 AM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 24-Mar-13 03:43 AM by NanoMeter

US

Hi Jeff, I would appreciate your ideas on this:
The NX2 'channel swapping' process outlined above is not a red/blue swap, it is a hue adjustment which changes red, blue, and green simultaneously.

Here is an NX2 LCH Hue "channel swap" following what is outlined above:

Here is a red/blue channel swap using Photoshop:
Photoshop>Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer
Red channel: Red = 0%, Green = 0%, Blue = +100%
Green channel: Red = 0%, Green = +100%, Blue = 0%
Blue channel: Red = +100%, Green = 0%, Blue = 0%

If anyone has any good way to process the image below using NX2 to match a red/blue channel swap using Photoshop please let me know.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 03-Apr-13 10:40 AM
#20. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 19

Frederick, US

Nano,
Those of us who have been using the NX2 process that Jeff described, have known that it isn't a true channel swap as it is in PS, but it is the simplest (onliest? ) way to adjust a NEF. I don't know all the details of PS but as I recall you can't open a NEF directly into PS without going through ACR first.

The question I have is whether the translation to an intermediate format or JPG by ACR compromises the channel swapping process in any way.

And a follow-on question - what about other raw formats? I don't like working in jpg (and don't know about the psd format) because of the slight loss of control. I recently starting shooting IR with an Olympus and their raw files ("ORF") can't be used in NX2, but I prefer NX2 over other tools.

Tom

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 06-May-13 06:52 PM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue 07-May-13 12:30 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

I believe if you saved the file as a tiff that you could then do a channel swap in photoshop without compromise.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Tue 07-May-13 12:22 PM
518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 21
Tue 07-May-13 12:23 PM by NanoMeter

US

>I believe if you saved the file as a tiff that you could then
>do a channel swap in photoshop with compromis.

Yes, 16 bit tiff works great for that.

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Mon 06-May-13 07:40 PM
#22. "RE: Capture NX and Infrared Processing"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue 07-May-13 01:00 PM by NanoMeter

US

> Those of us who have been using the NX2 process that Jeff described,
> have known that it isn't a true channel swap as it is in PS,
> but it is the simplest (onliest? ) way to adjust a NEF.

Some may not know. I didn't know. Results are not the same.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #370 Previous topic | Next topic