Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3084
View in linear mode

Subject: "LifePixel or Digital Silver ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Strobonar Registered since 18th Jul 2006Mon 06-May-13 12:29 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
Mon 06-May-13 12:30 PM by Strobonar

Austin, US

My wife asked me yesterday what I wanted for Father's Day. I said I'd like to have my D70S converted to full time IR. I'd like the "standard" conversion. For LifePixel that would be the 720nm filter. Digital Silver states that their standard conversion is 715nm. That doesn't sound like too much of a difference. There is plenty of info on how much folks like their LifePixel converted cameras but not as much info on the Digital Silver conversions. Does anyone here have any comments on the Digital Silver conversions?

Thanks.

Martin.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?
walkerr Administrator
06th May 2013
Strobonar
06th May 2013
walkerr Administrator
06th May 2013
NanoMeter
06th May 2013
Reply message Email from LifePixel - Wooo Hooo!
Strobonar
12th Jul 2013
NanoMeter
13th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
Strobonar
19th Jul 2013
f5titan Gold Member
13th Sep 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 06-May-13 01:04 PM
14683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

No comments on the Digital Silver conversions, but I've had a few bodies converted by Life Pixel, and they did good work in the past. They currently have my D800 in for a conversion, but I'm extremely unhappy with their inability to meet their advertised delivery times. They've had my body for more than a month and missed a previously commitment of last week after I had inquired about dates. Needless to say, I'm not pleased, and I'd have a hard time recommending them right now.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Strobonar Registered since 18th Jul 2006Mon 06-May-13 01:33 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

Thanks Rick. I appreciate your input.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 06-May-13 06:59 PM
14683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I'll revise my earlier statement. Life Pixel went above and beyond to fix this problem, and I'm now back in their camp as an advocate.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Mon 06-May-13 07:16 PM
499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 06-May-13 07:17 PM by NanoMeter

US

I have no experience with Digital Silver, my conversions have been done by LifePixel, and I am happy with their work.

720nm has almost become a generic term for that range of IR filter (like the Hoya R72).
Hoya and Schott glass are the two most common types of filter glass.
Schott filter glass is 715nm, Hoya is 720nm, both of which refer to the 50% transmission point, so both will transmit some red/IR below 715/720nm.
You will see no difference between 715nm and 720nm.

Strobonar Registered since 18th Jul 2006Fri 12-Jul-13 02:09 PM
#5. "Email from LifePixel - Wooo Hooo!"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Got an email from LifePixel this morning. They're through modding my D70S for standard IR. Should be in my hot little hands in a few days!!!

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Sat 13-Jul-13 07:10 AM
499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Jul-13 07:11 AM by NanoMeter

US

Enjoy!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 14-Jul-13 01:04 AM
324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

I had my D7000 converted by LifePixel. In the middle of the process I got an email from them stating that things were taking longer than usual because they were swamped-- they had a big response to their sale. When the new date due date arrived and I still didn't have my camera I called them. I got through (easily) to a live person who explained to me that they had broken a some small component and they had a choice of replacing the back of the camera or sending to Japan for a new PC board. They didn't want to replace the back because I had installed an LCD protector which they couldn't duplicate, - otherwise they would have-- at their expense. So they opted to send to Japan for the pc card. This person called me periodically to give me updates and I received the camera a few weeks later. I am very happy with the conversion. In my opinion they have excellent customer service. In the event things take longer then expected, just give them a call and the person that answers is very knowledgeable and will get to the bottom of your issue.

Strobonar Registered since 18th Jul 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 06:15 PM
#8. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Austin, US

I'm quite pleased with their service too. The D70S works great. The weather here hasn't been very cooperative but I hope to be able to make some images this weekend. When I have something worth showing I'll post it here of course.

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Fri 13-Sep-13 11:39 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: LifePixel or Digital Silver ?"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

LifePixel was my choice for converting my D70 and the results have been limited only by my imagination and vision. I opted for the "color" conversion and when I want black & white I process in PS 7.0/10.0 and Lr4. The results are often quite surprising.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #3084 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.