Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #2914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best filter to protect lens" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 04:24 PM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best filter to protect lens"

Aventura, US

I am planning to get lifepixel to do super color conversion. I plan to use a 17-85 mm lens. Is it ok to use a uv filter to protect the lens or should I use something else. Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 20-Mar-13 06:57 PM
783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best filter to protect lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Mar-13 07:00 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Steve,
For the most part, a UV filter will have no effect on your IR captures. When shooting IR images, many lenses that behave normally in the visible spectrum can be quite susceptible to flare and glare. In my experience, the presence of a UV (or clear) filter increases the likelihood of flare and glare. I typically do not use a filter on the lenses I use for IR photography because the recessed front element is more easliy shaded than a flat filter at the end of the lens. The main reason for using a filter is to provide bump protection for the front element. I find that the lens hood provides a lot of bump protection and I use the hood all the time for IR photography. If I grab another lens that happens to have a filter on it, I don't remove the filter unless there is a flare problem.

What does this mean? You can use the UV filter if it makes you feel better but you should remove it if you are getting lens flare and when glare on the filter causes you to lose contrast.

There is a lot of controversy about whether to use a filter or not for visible light photography. I put filters on the lenses I use for visible light photography because I rarely use a lens hood. I always use a lens hood for IR photography. Other people may have different experiences and I hope they chime in.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

kds315 Moderator Awarded for his in depth knowledge and skills in a variety of subjects, most notably in Macro and Close-Up, Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography Nikonian since 15th Nov 2007Wed 20-Mar-13 07:53 PM
702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best filter to protect lens"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 20-Mar-13 07:54 PM by kds315

Weinheim, DE

I have NEVER used a UV filter on any lens I own, but admittedly, I use cameras and lenses with the thought + care they deserve. It's personal, I know, and for some this is "just stuff" to toss around. So decide, which "category" you fall in - the latter would rather benefit from such a protective filter... not meant to be judgemental, rather than realistic and just my 2 cts of course

Oh and like Dan, I always use a lens hood on any lens to protect about flare and (some little) added protection.

Cheers, Klaus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link(s) to the lens database (macro, UV, IR) as well as to my UV BLOG, plus many UV images here:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.de/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 21-Mar-13 05:20 AM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best filter to protect lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 21-Mar-13 05:26 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

As said above, a UV filter not only has no use in modern digital cameras (they have their own UV filter at the sensor) and sometimes even become a problem.
I always used an UV filter on each and all of my lenses in my film days.

Get a Nikon NC (CLEAR) filter; multi-coated for glare and ghosting avoidance, as well as protecting the front lens surface from the elements and even nasty bumps.

All of my lenses either have an A2 warming filter or a NC on.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #2914 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.