Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #2836
View in linear mode

Subject: "Infrared Portrait " Previous topic | Next topic
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 27-Feb-13 11:20 PM
783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Infrared Portrait "
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:24 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

I posted a version of this in the portrait and studio photography forum but I thought I would share this one with the infrared group. This is an impromptu portrait of my friend Vicki. For those of you who are wondering, Vicki's hair is white and her eyes are brown. Interesting things happen in IR photography.

IR captures produce porcelain-like skin tones and I just went with it. Post processing included levels, contrast, sharpening, and BW conversion in Adobe CS5. At the end, I threw away the green and blue channels as Mark (LastDaylight)suggested. (and you thought I wasn't paying attention!)

D90IR (720nm filter), 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/3.0, 1/125 sec, ISO 320, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Infrared Portrait
lastdaylight Gold Member
28th Feb 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
NanoMeter
28th Feb 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
matcam Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
matcam Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
swampwizard
04th Mar 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Cavy2 Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 02:41 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Love it, Dan. The eyes are wonderful, and that great IR porcelain skin... Maybe just a touch of focus softness around the nose - that might not be such a bad thing. I'd say, whatever processing technique you're using is working (And, I bet it's rare that you are accused of not paying attention.)

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 28-Feb-13 03:21 PM
783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 1

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks again Mark. I was studying the IR portrait you posted in the "Favorite IR Photos from 2012" thread and tried to produce an image that was comparable. I did not quite make it with this one but I am getting better.

You are correct about the softness around the nose. There is not a lot of DOF at f/3 and I should have stopped down a bit more. My usual style is to try for a high contrast photo that is very sharp. After one of my previous portrait attempts, Vicki informed me that really sharp portraits are not very flattering. I probably overcompensated on this one.

Thanks for your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

NanoMeter Registered since 17th May 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 07:48 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Dan, Really nice IR portrait, it really brings out the eyes!

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 28-Feb-13 03:24 PM
#4. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 2

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Fri 01-Mar-13 04:54 PM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Very nice Dan. The eyes really are exceptional and command attention. I find it impossible to linger on any other area of the face - my gaze immediately snaps back to those "windows to the soul".

Matt Murphy

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 01-Mar-13 11:07 PM
#6. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 5

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Matt. I know what you mean. If you get a chance, take a look at Mark's portrait from this forum. It provides an excellent example of how these "windows to the soul" are revealed in IR. Here is the link.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=214&topic_id=1785&mesg_id=1785&page=5

Thanks again.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sat 02-Mar-13 03:12 AM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 6

cambridge, US

Thanks Dan. That's a very imformative post. Can't wait to try some of portraits of my own.

Matt Murphy

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 02-Mar-13 07:30 PM
#8. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 7

Ann Arbor, US

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

swampwizard Registered since 04th Nov 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 11:14 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Dan, That is a great portrait.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 12:45 AM
#10. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 9

Ann Arbor, US

Charles (swmpwizard),
Thank you for taking the time to comment. IR does some interesting things with skin tones.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Thu 21-Mar-13 09:04 PM
4416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 10

Newtown, US

Very nicely done Dan! Exceptional detail in the eyes.

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 01:54 AM
#12. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 11

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Kathy,
I still go back and look at the portrait of your daughter and the cat. I have not been able to reproduce the gorgeous eyelashes but its not for the lack of trying.

Thanks for commenting.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 22-Mar-13 02:06 AM
1882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Wonderful image! Fabulous eyes.

Tom

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 01:27 AM
#14. "RE: Infrared Portrait "
In response to Reply # 13

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Tom.
I appreciate your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Infrared & Ultraviolet (Public) topic #2836 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.