Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #928
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mt. Pinatubo Crater" Previous topic | Next topic
htan Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2009Fri 17-Jun-11 05:09 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mt. Pinatubo Crater"

Ringoes, US

Hello mga kabayan,

Remember Mount Pinatubo? I was actually in college in Manila when it erupted on that Saturday late afternoon/evening. Where were you back in 1990's when this tragedy happened?

Well, I was fortunate enough to visit home last year, and my cousins took me out to visit the crater. I thought it was going to be a desolate place considering the damages it caused. Well, to my surprise, this is the Mount Pinatubo Crater now...

Cheers,
Hector
Flemington, NJ Nikonian

Hector Tan Photography

My Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 17-Jun-11 05:30 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I saw your post in the APIT (A Picture I Took) section of the board. Very nice. Maganda naman - tingnan mo naman ang kulay nang tubig diyan!

I was deployed overseas when Pinatubo erupted but followed most of it on the news. The resulting closure of Clark and Subic added to the economic upheaval and burden of the region during the recovery that followed. The rich soil that it laid (along with the ash and everything else) will hopefully stimulate some sort of agragrian renewal.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

htan Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2009Fri 17-Jun-11 05:43 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 17-Jun-11 05:43 PM by htan

Ringoes, US

Thanks for your kind comments Armando!

Yeah, some other facts I found out about the crater from the guides working there, they tried, but actually couldn't successfully measure the depth of the water. Maybe the needed some more hi-tech equipments. We took a small bangka (boat) to the other side of the crater, and where the water meets the ground it was actually boiling. I thought for a second it was just air coming out from the ground, but true enough, I got scalded when I touched that section. So, I'll venture a guess that there's still seismic activity going on underneath.

I still remember the day it erupted. I was walking home from church, when my eyes kept getting irritated (napu-puling). I thought they were just dry and ignored it. Later that night, when I was walking outside, I almost slipped because the pavement was slippery. I thought somebody was doing some construction work and spilt sand on the walkway. Well, the next day when I woke up, everything was light gray, it looked like it snowed. That's when I found out that the mountain turned into a volcano!

Two months later, Clark and Subic closed. Not sure if it was because of lease negotiations or the volcano that finally did it since they happened around the same time. But you're right, it did bring a big slump in that region's economy.

Cheers,
Hector
Flemington, NJ Nikonian

Hector Tan Photography

My Nikonians gallery

nimitzbenedicto Registered since 07th Jul 2011Fri 08-Jul-11 07:59 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 08-Jul-11 07:59 PM by nimitzbenedicto

PH

Sir,

Ang alam ko , isa na ngayon top tourist spot/destination yan Mt. Pinatubo.

Madaming extreme backpackers/tourists ang pumupunta diyan.

Buti naman at di kayo napaso ng matindi.

Ingat.

Mitz

htan Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2009Fri 15-Jul-11 06:40 PM
#4. "RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater"
In response to Reply # 3

Ringoes, US

Hi Mitz,

Haha, hindi naman ako napasong masyado.. haha.. Yung sa kabila ng lake, mainit pa rin yung lupa at tubig, para siyang hot spring. Bumubula yung tubig, pero akala ko hangin lang. Yun pala, talagang mainit masyado yung lupa.

Thanks.

Hector

Cheers,
Hector
Flemington, NJ Nikonian

Hector Tan Photography

My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #928 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.