Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #925
View in linear mode

Subject: "My first five months here in the phils" Previous topic | Next topic
kdsmithjr Basic MemberFri 03-Jun-11 02:00 AM
2590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My first five months here in the phils"

Ithaca, US

sorry i havent posted a lot but I have been busy adjusting to life in southern mindanao (in the municipality of malalag if you know where that is).
it's been great and, since i don't have a car, my photography has been on shorted 'leash' than usual, but I found a new outlet (and you'll have to excuse that I'm using a Canon G-12...at least for now to explore that new outlet). I met another american when i was at Phils Immigration extending my visa. He is a partner in the ownership of the biggest dive shop on the Santa Ana Wharf in Davao City (second largest city here...a little over a million people). Long story short I now have my "open water" scuba certification and the Advanced Adventure Diver certifiBtwcation (a step towards "advanced open water certification) as well.
Btw, diving is dirt cheap here (less than $20 for two tanks of air and about a six hour round trip boat ride out into the 85F davao gulf). It may not be the clearest water in the world, but 80 to 100 ft visibility is common. I'll try to post a pic of two here (go easy folks, I have about 5 dives experience with the little canon so far).

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 04-Jun-11 08:44 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My first five months here in the phils"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Glad you're having a great time! Suggest you post these photos for now in the non-Nikon forums since they are Canon shots.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

kdsmithjr Basic MemberTue 07-Jun-11 01:16 PM
2590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My first five months here in the phils"
In response to Reply # 1

Ithaca, US

sorry. my bad. i still use my d300, but since i have been diving, in order to ease into underwater photography (i've been told a waterproof housing for my d300 will cost about 60% of the cost of a d300 body), I purchased a "cheapo-cheapo" canon g12, so that the waterproof housing would only set me back about $400. and other than the underwater/scuba shots, the rest are from my d300.

I'm about to purchase an ikelite for the d300, but my scuba buddies are suggesting other brands as well. if anyone has any leads (in terms of where to purchase a housing for a d300), especially here in 'the phils', i'd appreciate it.

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #925 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.