nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #864
View in linear mode

Subject: "Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas" Previous topic | Next topic
prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Tue 04-May-10 07:00 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
Tue 04-May-10 07:24 PM by prophotoman

Oakdale, US

I need some information. First, I HAVE been to the Philippines perhaps a dozen times in my life, First time was in late '72 as a U.S. Navy photographer... last time was about 5 years ago. I have never been there during the Holiday season before. My main reason for going there is, of course, photography... and to visit friends in Genera Trias, close to the city square and city hall. I have heard that there is one particular celebration worthy of photographing called the Sinulog Festival. Could you tell me about it? Is it done on Luzon? I will be there from about Dec 22nd through the end of January. Any other big celebrations in January worth seeing on Luzon itself?

Salamat! Joe Nowak

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christm...
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
04th May 2010
prophotoman
08th May 2010
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
09th May 2010
prophotoman
25th Oct 2010
prophotoman
26th Nov 2012
26th Nov 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 04-May-10 08:07 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Joe - Mabuhay! (Welcome and Live Well!)

Unfortunately, the Sinulog Festival is held way down south in Cebu City; it's not even on the Luzon island. The good news is that it's not too far to travel to, so you could go see it for yourself. The timing works out since it's usually held on the back end of January.

More information on the festival here:

http://www.sinulog.ph/

Closer to where you are, you should consider travelling to San Fernando, Pampanga, just north of Manila, for the Giant Lantern festival. Check with your friends and relatives to see if you can catch it since you're arriving very close to Christmas.

Other Pinoy Nikonians - please chime in and help identify other holiday activities Joe can participate in nearby...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Sat 08-May-10 05:23 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 1

Oakdale, US

Thank you so very much! I'm going to check out the lantern Festival. About the Sinulog Festival. My wife (she's from General Trias, Cavite) told me that the festival is attended by an enormous number of people. I know that we'll have to fly there. But if that festival is packed like sardines, I'm a little worried about my equipment It's all pro level (I WILL have steel cable embedded camera and case straps to prevent a slasher from trying to cut them) and I'm worried about being able to get close enough to the participants for good shots. I will have my 26 year old brother-in-law with me wherever I go with my camera. I know a fair amount of Tagalog, but no Cebuano at all! He knows a little at least!

Thanks again!

Joe Nowak

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 09-May-10 08:21 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 2

US

As long as you're with locals or native speakers in your party, you should be fine. Usual cautions apply, just as if you were on shore leave in the old days - try to blend in, nothing ostentatious, keep your wallet in your front pocket , try to limit the amount of equipment you have to lug around. After a while, it gets hard in the heat and humidity. Enjoy the trip and please share photos if you can.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Mon 25-Oct-10 03:21 PM
#4. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Oct-10 01:18 AM by prophotoman

Oakdale, US

Most of my itenerary is now set for my trip to the Philippines in mid-December. I'll be going to Vegan, Puerto Galera and other parts of Mindoro, a good part of Metro Manila, Boracay and a couple other places on Luzon. I will not be able to attend the Sunulog Festival (third Sunday in January) because I won't be able to stay long enough. I will go to the Giant Lantern Festival. Perhaps during my trip I'll be able to find some people who can pose for me in traditional costumes (that's why I wanted to go to the Sinulog Festival in Cebu City).

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009Mon 26-Nov-12 03:35 PM
#5. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 26-Nov-12 03:36 PM by prophotoman

Oakdale, US

Plans have changed, and I WILL be going to the festival for 2013. The hotel I will be staing in while in Cebu City is right on the parade route for the festival.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 26-Nov-12 08:51 PM
#6. "RE: Going to General Trias on Luzon just before Christmas"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Nice - should be a good time. Look forward to your photos!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #864 Previous topic | Next topic