Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #825
View in linear mode

Subject: "looking to visit the phils this winter or spring." Previous topic | Next topic
kdsmithjr Basic MemberSat 12-Dec-09 05:54 PM
2590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"looking to visit the phils this winter or spring."

Ithaca, US

i'm looking to visit the phils this winter or spring, but i want to be on my own, perhaps rent a small car. i am an african american, 58, experienced with solo travel and i wanted to know if this is a good idea or not

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 12-Dec-09 09:34 PM
10576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: looking to visit the phils this winter or spring."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Mabuhay (Welcome) Keith to the forum!

The Philippines is a great place to visit. I would suggest visiting the Department of Tourism page to plan your itinerary. Look under the Philippines Tourism link on the upper-left for travel planning tools.

In general, the same rules apply as you would traveling to any other country. As a solo traveller, I'm sure you're very familiar with what those practical steps are. Avoid looking ostentatious, flashing money, etc. Travelling individually, I would consider passing by the US Embassy and letting them know of your itinerary just as a precaution. If you have a GSM phone, you can buy a SIM card very cheaply locally and pass back the number to US based family and friends if they want to reach you locally.

I would consider arranging a local car and driver, usually through your hotel. It's just easier to pay a very small and reasonable rate daily for this service because the driving can be challenging, either inside Metro Manila or in any of the other regions you're visiting. He can double as an interpreter and guide for any places that don't speak English fluently. Depending on which places you visit, getting there in a car may not be possible, as the country is essentially 7,000+ islands, and not all have ferry services for vehicles.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

kdsmithjr Basic MemberSun 07-Feb-10 04:13 PM
2590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: looking to visit the phils this winter or spring."
In response to Reply # 1

Ithaca, US

thanks for this. good news. i have committed to the trip, even going alone. i will be in the phils from march 14 to the 21st. so far i will be staying in baguio and tagaytay, both for two nights each. I will spend my first two nites in makati city

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

yuriboiblu Basic MemberWed 24-Feb-10 05:40 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: looking to visit the phils this winter or spring."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 24-Feb-10 05:44 PM by yuriboiblu

Calgary, CA

hi there keith:

congratulations! hope you'll enjoy every minute of your stay in the Philippines. we'll wait for your travel photos :--)

baguio, the last time i visited this place was in 1996. :--) they have very big wet/dry market there , if you go and eat in the local restaurant, you may ask for their BAGNET! (deep-fried pork, if you eat pork).

just drop us a note if you want to ask some questions about the places that you want to see. if we can't answer that, we have some friends can help us out here and in the country.

and thank you for your visit ey?

Yuriboiblu

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #825 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.