nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #764
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie here" Previous topic | Next topic
gerjam Registered since 07th May 2009Thu 07-May-09 04:55 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie here"

PH

Hi everyone,

Im planning to buy my very first DSLR camera and I want it to be Nikon.
Im just looking into a medium class type of camera.

Any recommendations on what to buy? - DXXX? lens? memory? flash? thanks alot!!

Rgds,
G.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 07-May-09 06:22 PM
10885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie here"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Welcome to the forum Gerry. Mabuhay!

Depende kung anong gusto mong gawin, no? General photography or do you have any specific interests? Anong budget mo?

Kung bago, they all really have the same sensor, except for the D3X - 12MP, so that's not a defining feature.

Medium class - well, that could put you in D90 or D300 land. Clear differences in build and features - pero defining difference is of course the ability to shoot video with the 90.

12MP is large, so I wouldn't go with anything less than 4GB cards. Stick to Sandisk and Lexer kung pwede. Reduces the uncertainty of being compatible. If you're planning to shoot video with the cards, kailangan Class 6 (which is an entirely different rating system than the 80x, 133x, etc).

Start with the lens that comes with the body if possible. Then usually people go two ways, bibili nang telephoto or an external flash. Kung telephoto, madaming choices, or meron kang lumang Nikon lenses, baka compatible pa. Kung flash, kailangan iTTL compatible para gagana nang lahat nang features, so that makes it an SB-400, SB-600 or SB-900. Kung meron kang makitang SB-800 on the used market, pwede rin.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

gerjam Registered since 07th May 2009Fri 08-May-09 01:57 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie here"
In response to Reply # 1

PH

Thanks for tips sir..

Btw, what does the ratings/type of lenses xx-zzmm mean?

I believe they are all about the zoom range

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 08-May-09 06:24 PM
10885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie here"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Gerry,

Please check this nomenclature page:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html#type

It does a good job of explaining the various terms like AFS D ED IF DX etc.

As for zoom ranges, it simply means what type of view can you expect to see using the lens. For example 18-200 expresses a wide range of views - 18mm is considered wide-angle while 200mm is very telephoto (so you can reach out and see distant objects closely). The best way to understand this is to view it. I found this simulator on Tamron's website that visualizes the differences very well. Use the slider to see the differences in perspective from wide all the way to 500mm...

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

Use the Red and Black arrows to set the beginning 18 and end 200 and you will see exactly what you can and cannot take in a given photograph. You can even change the photo to see how it works with different subjects. Very useful.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #764 Previous topic | Next topic