Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #210
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines?" Previous topic | Next topic
cyneuge Basic MemberMon 04-Dec-06 08:38 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines?"

San Jose, US

Kumusta everyone! I'm yet another Pinoy who's forgotten how to speak his native language, but then again, I left the Phils when I was four years old, and now, I'm REALLY old!

Anyway, I'm planning on a trip back to the Philippines next week, and I was wondering if anyone had any problems hand carrying their equipment on the plane. I'll be flying out of LAX on Philippine Airlines, and I've been told they have a 15 lb. limit on hand carries. I'm carrying a backpack with a D2X, 28-70mm, 17-35mm, 70-200mm, flash, laptop, and a few sundry accessories which all total to more than 15 pounds. I traveled in April to the Philippines with the same backpack and equipment and somehow managed to escape the weighing process, probably because they thought it was an ordinary backpack. However, with the heightened security, they may actually weigh it this time. I really do not want to check in my camera equipment if at all possible!

Has anyone had any problems carry their camera equipment on board? Salamat po!

"Never judge a book by it's cover - take a look at the photos inside first". - me

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines
Stitch
05th Dec 2006
cyneuge
06th Dec 2006
yuriboiblu
09th Dec 2006
JoelT
16th Dec 2006
Stitch
18th Dec 2006
cyneuge
20th Dec 2006
notarius
07th Jan 2007
1donjuan
15th Jan 2007

Stitch Registered since 12th Jan 2006Tue 05-Dec-06 02:37 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 0

US

DON'T CHECK IN YOUR CAMERA!!!

Also, DONT go by weight.
Go by size. The U.S. are not as strict. I had a small Pelican Hard Case and I was able to carry it on board. However, on my way back from London, people could barely fit a backpack they could carry on. I had to put my camera in a backpack with a lens. Then I had my friend carry on my other 2 lenses.

Just to be safe, try to pack as LIGHT as possible. Put the cam in a small backpack with a couple of lenses. Then check the rest in. (batteries etc) that you can't fit in the bag.

-------------------------
www.philipcuencofilms.com

cyneuge Basic MemberWed 06-Dec-06 12:48 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

Stitch,

Thanks for your suggetions. I'll pack my non-essential accessories in a suitcase to lighten the load. The rest I'll carry in my backpack. It's small enough and looks inconspicuous, so they may just think it's an ordinary backpack. But to be on the safe side, I'll carry an extra bag to "re-distribute" the weight in case they decide to weigh my backpack.

"Never judge a book by it's cover - take a look at the photos inside first". - me

yuriboiblu Basic MemberSat 09-Dec-06 08:08 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

this is very true. NEVER CHECK-IN your cameras especially the expensive ones or your favorites . grabe, I haven't travelled with my 70-200 & 17-35, and 3 Nikon bodies on the plane. but for sure they will weigh and going to tell me that your camera bag is bulky. what can i usually do is YES, carry only my photog-equip and small number of my clothes. and of course if you have this Mabuhay Miles card, i believe they include photo-equip in their list to not to add it to your original baggage allowance.

this inquiry helps us. thanks for sharing cyneuge & Stitch.

~yuriboiblu
nikonian, saudi arabia

Visit 15th Asian Games in Qatar

Yuriboiblu

JoelT Basic MemberSat 16-Dec-06 07:37 AM
281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 3

US

So, out of LAX, does PAL allow two carry-ons or just one?

Stitch Registered since 12th Jan 2006Mon 18-Dec-06 01:24 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 4

US

just one. a small one. So I say pack your camera, your biggest, lens, and a small lens. If you can, your laptop too if you have one.

-------------------------
www.philipcuencofilms.com

cyneuge Basic MemberWed 20-Dec-06 04:21 AM
#6. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Well, I'm back from my brief trip to the Philippines. This is what I found out about hand carries on Philippine Airlines (PAL).

You are allowed one handcarry plus one personal bag, which may be a handbag, backpack, laptop case, or brief case. When checkinging in, security or PAL representatives key particularly on the handcarry, which is usually one of those typical 22" bags with wheels. If there is someone there, they will weigh the handcarry to make sure it is within the 15 lb limit. If you get there early enough (like at least 3 hours before departure time, there is no one in line to weigh you carry on. I've also observed that they don't typically weight your personal bag unless it looks obviously large and heavy.

The camera backpack I used on this trip was the Tamrac Cyberpack 9, which held my D2X, 28-70 f/2.8, 24-35 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.7 teleconverter, SB800 flash, spare battery, laptop computer and accessories, plus a few other knickknacks that easily brought it to well over the 15 lbs limit. No one bothered to ask me to weigh my bag as I carried it like an ordinary backpack.

However, the one thing I found most interesting was that in Manila, I had to transfer to a domestic flight to get to my final destination. The security guards there were more strict regarding carry ons. I actually had to check in my carry on even if it was within the limit. One thing I did note though is that the guards seemed a little discriminatory about who had to check in their hand carries because I saw quite a few people who were let through with hand carries larger than mine and apparently heavier as well. (It must have been my "Americano" accent). But, like in LAX, they let me go through with my backpack... go figure.

So, what have I learned from all this? One, it's a safe bet that if you carry a photo backpack that isn't too large like a Tamrac Expedition 8 or a Lowpro Compu Trekker AW, they probably will not stop you - one of the few cases where smaller is better! As far as handcarries, be prepared to check it in if your transferring to a connecting domestic flight, especially if you're transferring in Manila (I didn't have too much problem with my handcarry in Dipolog). If you are using a bigger backpack, my advice is to carry and extra folding bag or handbag as a backup, so you can transfer some of your equipment to balance out the weight.

Well, there you have it. Hope this will help other travelers to the Philippines in the future.

Salamat po to all of you who responded to my question. I appreciate all your great responses!

notarius Registered since 17th May 2006Sun 07-Jan-07 02:51 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 6

Makati, PH

I have not encountered any issue handcarrying my Lowepro or Phototrekker on domestic flights. Ground crew never made it difficult with photographic equipment, knowing the cost of photo gear.

A smile and pakiusap always works.

1donjuan Registered since 19th May 2006Mon 15-Jan-07 03:33 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Any problems hand carrying equipment to Philippines"
In response to Reply # 6

US

One thing I did note though is that the guards seemed a little discriminatory about who had to check in their hand carries because I saw quite a few people who were let through with hand carries larger than mine and apparently heavier as well. (It must have been my "Americano" accent). But, like in LAX, they let me go through with my backpack... go figure

Sorry about that bad encounter with the security guards. It is apparently true that you had been singled out by the authorities being a non tagalog speaking Filipino. In most cases, handing them a $20 bill will make them change their tune. I would rather spend that little money so just to keep my equipment safe besides me. On the other hand, if you talk and act just like a local, most likely they would not waste their time with you unless they have a reason to. As far as the case of camera bags, the Lowepro compu trekker would be the best bet. I stitched a Philippine flag over the Lowepro logo and no one had ever suspected it is a camera bag. It looks like any other ordinary backpack.

John
Jersey Nikonian

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #210 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.