Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can you guys Help me???" Previous topic | Next topic
vinylfreak01 Registered since 23rd Jul 2006Fri 08-Sep-06 09:21 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can you guys Help me???"

Mga Kababayan,

First of all, Let me introduce myself, I'm from Manila. But due to my work, I frequently travel around. Iyong mga kasama ko sa work (and kasama ko magtravel), they looooovve photography, thus, I got hooked too.

Anyway, just wanted to ask some help on purchasing equiment here in Manila (as well as abroad) for Nikon equipment. Kasi as you know its very hard to find Nikon resources for lens and equipment here in Manila. I went to Quiapo sometimes, pero some of the 2nd hand stuff there is quite dubious. I have 2 lenses, both are 2nd hand stuff. And I bought it in the US (Pasadena, California) pa. I went to Samy's there, and found 2 good lenses for a reasonable price. I don't go to the US often, and prices some other countries are outrageous (compared to Amazon.com)

Although, I have been doing some photography since HS. I never really had the money before, its only now that I'm working that I can pursue this hobby of mine. I just wanted to compare "notes" with you guys if I have the proper equipment, kasi I got these items by looking at several Nikon reviews only. Also, just want to ask if you know a place here in Manila (other than Quiapo), where I can buy Nikon lenses and stuff.

In my bag are:
- Nikon D70
- AF 18-70mm DX Lens (the one with the D70 kit)
- AF 35-70mm F/2.8 Lens (there are mixed comments abt. this lens, but
i absolutely love this lens. 2nd Hand pa)
- AF 50mm F/1.4 Lens (my other 2nd hand lens, my sharpest lens
at the moment)
- AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6G (bought it brand-new on-sale sa Amsterdam)
- 67' Circ Polarizer; 62' circ polarizer and 62' 80A filter

I plan to buy a SB-800 or SB-600 na flash e. Cheapiest I've seen is sa Amazon.com (thus, ayun ang benchmark ko). Other than that, mahal lahat e. Do you know any place at all in Manila where I can buy stuff that is cheaper than Amazon.com

How about a tripod? I have a very old slik tripod with a plastic parts. Di nya kaya when I use my 35-70mm lens kasi mabigat e. Any suggestions?

Anyway, I hope you can help a photo hobbyist like me.

Thanks!

vinylfreak

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can you guys Help me???
1donjuan
08th Sep 2006
pizzajoe62
09th Sep 2006
yuriboiblu
09th Sep 2006
madzieph
12th Sep 2006
yuriboiblu
12th Sep 2006
thepurplegirl
18th Sep 2006
1donjuan
20th Sep 2006
movingpictures
20th Sep 2006

1donjuan Registered since 19th May 2006Fri 08-Sep-06 11:24 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

vinylfreak,
I understand that kind of frustration but the prices for a Nikon equipment is almost uniform globally. I was in Singapore last spring time and did not realize that I totally forgot my 18-200VR lens at home. Out of 4 Nikon authorized stores I checked, only one store has one available for $899.00. The same price I payed at Best Buy. If you dont mind purchasing used equipment, try checking out the For Sale tread here at Nikonians. When it comes to flashes, SB800/600, the price would be $306 for the SB800 and $200 for the SB600 here in the US. I would recomend buying them brand new with worldwide warranty. For tripods, I would suggest Manfrottos or Giottos. They offer a wide choice of good tripods priced below $100.00 that can handle heavy loads up to 10 lbs. I too have the 35-70 2.8 lens and I love it. Dont worry about the mixed comments. If it works great for you, keep it..

1donjuan

John
Jersey Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pizzajoe62 Registered since 20th May 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 06:45 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 1

PH

tiga manila din ko...lahat na nikon stuff ko pinapabili ko sa kapatid ko sa amerika, mas mura doon.
tripod, kung manfrotto, mas mura dito sa tin...check out island photo sa gamboa, makati.

joe

yuriboiblu Basic MemberSat 09-Sep-06 12:52 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

magandang hapon sa inyong tatlo, may link ako rito sa archive ko para sa nagiisang nationwide distributor ng Nikon photography products sa pinas.

please follow the link:

Nikon Distributor in the Philippines

~yuriboiblu
nikonian, saudi arabia

Visit Nikonians at Photokina; Cologne, Germany~Cologne Exhibition Center-Hall 2.1 A015
Sept 26 thru Oct 1, 2006

Yuriboiblu

madzieph Registered since 13th Aug 2006Tue 12-Sep-06 12:02 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 3

Legazpi City, PH

FYI lang po:

As of September 2006, Columbia Global has ceased to be the distributor of Nikon products in the Philippines. Am not privy to the internal problems that plagued Columbia Global but a new company was granted the distributorship... aptly named Columbia Digital...

their website is http://www.columbiadigital.net...

Anyway, regarding your question... Hidalgo-Quiapo is still the best place to get your equipment if cost is a concern. Comparing prices with sites like Adorama, BHPhoto, etc., online stores may offer lower prices than Hidalgo but adding the cost of shipping to Manila plus the probable taxes (pag medyo minalasmalas ka at strict ang customs officer na nag-check ng package mo) and the issue on warranties, I would still go for Hidalgo. During my first acquisitions, I also feared Hidalgo but eventually when one gets to know the people there (Wilson Lu of Avenue, Philip Tang of Watson, Ramon of Mayer) I became comfortable with the place. There were times when I would go there twice or thrice a month, not buying anything, just looking around asking prices and in time, I became familiar to them also.

But of course, if price is not a concern, you can always go straight to the distributors. At least with the new distributor, Columbia Digital, whose owner held meetings/ebs with Nikonians last week and made promises to improve the Nikon service and image in the country, there is so hope for us Nikonians here.

yuriboiblu Basic MemberTue 12-Sep-06 05:11 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

these two na namention mo e ok sa olrayt. at least may competition ng konti at tayong mga users ang beneficiaries nito in the long run.

thanks vmuch sa iyong information.

~yuriboiblu
nikonian, saudi arabia

Visit Nikonians at Photokina; Cologne, Germany~Cologne Exhibition Center-Hall 2.1 A015
Sept 26 thru Oct 1, 2006

Yuriboiblu

thepurplegirl Registered since 19th Aug 2006Mon 18-Sep-06 10:08 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

i've found BHPhoto to be the cheapest place to buy Nikon stuff. they will ship internationally but i don't know how much that will cost.

siguro better na lang to get it local in Manila. there's this photography forum based in Manila that i'm also a member of. it's PIPHO which is PinoyPhotography.org -- they have this member called SUPERMOM. she can get you any equipment you like. she travels to Singapore and Hongkong regularly to buy equipment for people and she constantly takes orders. check her out.

also, i've learned learned there that there are about 2-3 places in Manila that sell equipment at really competetive prices. Henry's camera comes to mind.

1donjuan Registered since 19th May 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 04:36 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 6

US

B&H does have good prices on their merchandise but if you add taxes and shipping, it would probably come up almost equal to what it would cost in Manila. The lesser price B&H offer are the Gray market items that is not under Nikon factory warranty. You have a good point here purplegirl, If equipment are purchased locally, it is a contribution and support to the local dealers. Keep a good support to the local dealers so they can be competetive and provide good service.

1donjuan

John
Jersey Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

movingpictures Registered since 20th Sep 2006Wed 20-Sep-06 10:31 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can you guys Help me???"
In response to Reply # 0

Pare. please try Avenue that is in Hidalgo, Quiapo. you can buy your SB600 there. For a tripon then manfrotto is the best. you can get that in Multi sales in gamboa, makati. very near greenbelt.

hope this helps.

fol

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS Café Filipino (Public) topic #129 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.