Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians Academy NA Workshops (Public) topic #1643
View in linear mode

Subject: "2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS" Previous topic | Next topic
rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberThu 27-Dec-12 01:23 AM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
Thu 27-Dec-12 01:25 AM by rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA

Welcome to the Question and Answer forum topic for the upcoming Urban and Street Photography Academy Workshop series in 2013. So far, we are going to San Francisco, New York, Chicago, and Toronto, Canada.

http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/all/viewWorkshop.html?workshop_id=110

Please post your questions and/or comments here under this forum topic, and I will provide feedback and answers.

Hope to see you at one of the venues!

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS
lalam Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.
18th Jan 2013
efsmithiii Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.
22nd Jan 2013
efsmithiii Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
23rd Jan 2013
growltiger Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
22nd Jan 2013
growltiger Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
23rd Jan 2013
growltiger Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
hbrail Gold Member
10th Mar 2013
10th Mar 2013
loveandppeace
11th Mar 2013
ctadin Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
hbrail Gold Member
11th Mar 2013
11th Mar 2013
hbrail Gold Member
13th Mar 2013
13th Mar 2013
ctadin Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
15th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
16th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
28th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
hbrail Gold Member
15th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
16th Apr 2013
oncewaspfd
20th Apr 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
07th May 2013
hbrail Gold Member
07th May 2013
ctadin Silver Member
08th May 2013
sabbey51 Gold Member
17th Jul 2013
18th Jul 2013
sabbey51 Gold Member
03rd Sep 2013
03rd Sep 2013

lalam Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 18-Jan-13 04:47 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Rick,
I will be driving up from South Bay. I am assuming we are meeting at the hotel? Where exactly?

Lala

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberFri 18-Jan-13 05:12 AM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 1

North Vancouver, CA

. I am assuming we are
>meeting at the hotel? Where exactly?

Hi Lala,

We will be meeting at 10:00 am on Thursday morning, January 24th, at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf.
1300 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, 415 771-9000.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

efsmithiii Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2007Mon 21-Jan-13 10:13 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 2

Mission Viejo, US

You said you would be bringing mosly shorter lenses and a moderate telephoto. How long of a lens are you thinking? Just asking for packing reasons.

Ed

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberTue 22-Jan-13 05:09 AM
#4. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 2

North Vancouver, CA

Hi Ed,

I will always try to give the right advice, but I will always tell you what I actually do, which doesn't always mirror what I advise.

I am bringing lenses that range from a fisheye through to a 105mm macro.
I also, at the very last minute, decided to bring my V1 camera with the 30-110mm lens.

If you want to photograph Architecture, then wide angle lenses can be really great. If you want to do some street photography, then normal to moderate wide angle lenses can be very useful and appropriate to the task.

I am famous for bringing too much stuff, but one of my current passions is panorama photography and that is the reason for the fisheye lens...(for spherical panoramas)

I am also prepared for Infrared photography if the opportunity presents itself.

But I repeat ... bring whatever camera and lens you like using and we will make it work.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

efsmithiii Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2007Tue 22-Jan-13 05:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 4

Mission Viejo, US

Rick,

Thanks for the tips. I was also planning on bringing my fisheye and wide angle lenses.

For infrared, do you have a converted camera or use infrared lenses? Hopefully the latter, so I can observe / learn.

Hoping the weather will cooperate!

Thanks

Ed

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberWed 23-Jan-13 12:12 AM
#8. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 5

North Vancouver, CA

>For infrared, do you have a converted camera or use infrared
>lenses?

Hi Ed,

I have a converted D700 for Infrared photography.
However, if you have an IR filter, then we can see what can be done with that if you would like.

If it is raining, we will figure something out.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

growltiger Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Tue 22-Jan-13 09:04 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 2

Santa Clara, US

I will be commuting to our sessions, so I think I have some latitude on packing for each session. That said, I would like to avoid the beast of burden syndrome that "being prepared" sometimes inflicts. Anyway, I own a tripod and a monopod. Should I prefer the monopod over the tripod for our sessions?

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberTue 22-Jan-13 11:47 PM
#7. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 6

North Vancouver, CA

>I will be commuting to our sessions, I own a tripod and
>a monopod. Should I prefer the monopod over the tripod for
>our sessions?

I would recommend a tripod over a monopod, but if you are commuting, can you bring both?
I am bringing a tripod, a monopod, and a bean bag.

If we are photographing at dusk with city lights or want to photograph a fountain, a tripod is best, but if people come without any camera support, we have a solution for that as well...like a hand rail or a telephone pole, or a wall, or a table top while sitting along the street having a drink!

Travel Safe,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

growltiger Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Wed 23-Jan-13 09:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Clara, US

How about flash? Will that be a topic of discussion and practice?

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberWed 23-Jan-13 11:05 AM
#10. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 9

North Vancouver, CA

>How about flash? Will that be a topic of discussion and
>practice?

Hi Ron,

Any Photography related subject is can be discussed.

While this is not a workshop on Flash Photography, I don't mind a relatively brief and targeted discussion about modifying an urban scene. Cinematographers and Stage Set Designers do it often for "special effects" or to create "surreal" environments or to compensate for the inability to document a seemingly "real" environment.

I will warn you that my thoughts and attitudes regarding artificial and augmented lighting are unconventional in the world of photography, and are based on my experience as an Architect and Urban Designer.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

growltiger Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Wed 23-Jan-13 08:46 PM
#11. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 10

Santa Clara, US

>
>I will warn you that my thoughts and attitudes regarding
>artificial and augmented lighting are unconventional in the
>world of photography, and are based on my experience as an
>Architect and Urban Designer.
>

Now I am intrigued. See you all tomorrow at 10am at the Holiday Inn near the Fisherman's Wharf.

hbrail Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011Sun 10-Mar-13 09:38 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Mar-13 09:39 PM by hbrail

Dearborn, US

Chicago Participants: I signed up for this workshop back on November 12, 2012, but did not see that a venue had been selected until last week at the Hyatt Regency on East Wacker Drive. I called Jessica Miller at the Hyatt about a reservation and was informed that the "limited time" period for the workshop rate ended March 1st. Long story short, Jessica was an outstanding example of customer service in getting me registered for my hotel room at the conference rate. If you have not already made hotel reservations for Chicago--call first thing on Monday and speak to Jessica. Hopefully, you will have the same great service that I did.

Herb Brail
Dearborn, MI

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 09:45 PM
#13. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 12

North Vancouver, CA

If you have not already made hotel reservations for
>Chicago--call first thing on Monday and speak to Jessica.
>Hopefully, you will have the same great service that I did.

Hi Herb,

Thanks for your thoughtful note.
I am looking forward to seeing you in Chicago.
We have a super workshop experience planned with lots of content and opportunities for some great image making.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

loveandppeace Registered since 21st Feb 2012Mon 11-Mar-13 02:48 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 12

Fairfield, US

Thanks, Herb. I signed up the minute the Chicago venue was announced (can't remember the date), but only heard about the Hyatt a few days ago and was waiting until after the weekend to call Jessica.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim Fairchild, Ph.D.
Southeast Iowa

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 11-Mar-13 05:45 AM
1025 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 14

St Louis, US

I will be staying with family for the workshop instead of at the Hyatt.
Can't wait for the class.

Cheryl

hbrail Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011Mon 11-Mar-13 01:23 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Dearborn, US

Rick,

I am trying to plan ahead for Chicago. I was looking at Writings at http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com/ and saw a reference to Photography with an Architectural Attitude. Is there a way to read the full article? All I saw was a few short paragraphs on your site and no links. I also ran across a review of a lecture you gave with the same title containing more detailed information at http://blog.tlmacdonald.com/photography-with-an-architectural-attitude-evening-lecture-vancouver-photo-workshops/.

If there are any materials you can recommend to study before the workshop begins, I would appreciate some guidance.

Herb Brail
Dearborn, MI

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberMon 11-Mar-13 03:22 PM
#17. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 16

North Vancouver, CA

Photography with an Architectural
>Attitude. Is there a way to read the full article?
>Herb Brail
>Dearborn, MI

Hi Herb,

Photography with an Architectural Attitude is the title of a talk that I give to groups. I have been invited to speak at the Boston Chapter of the Association of Media Photographers on April 18th. If you are able to attend that function, you will be able to see and hear about my evolving theory of Photography.

However, I will be incorporating excerpts of that talk into my lecture/discussion topics for our workshop in Chicago. The best prerequisite for our Urban Photography Workshop is a desire to learn, to share, and to be inspired. Attendees who have benefited from the experience have included Novice Photographers, Enthusiasts, Professional Photographers, and Fine Art Photographers.

A good working understanding of the features of your camera will allow you to concentrate on making great images.
Finally, if you want something to think about prior to the workshop, think about WHY you want to "make" images.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

hbrail Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011Wed 13-Mar-13 12:18 AM
#18. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed 13-Mar-13 12:24 AM by hbrail

Dearborn, US

Rick,

As much as I like to see your presentation in Boston, I'll have to defer learning about your evolving theory of Photography until our Chicago workshop.

Why do I want to "make" images? An interesting and though provoking question. On one level, is there a dissatisfaction and rejection as photographers with the ephemeral glimpses of life we experience each day that are far too fleeting? Do we want to preserve and freeze those moments and, if so, what is our objective? Is there a tangible or intangible value to forever capturing an instant from our experiences? And if we are successful as a photographer, do others who view our images share those common values? Are we able to effectively communicate our vision?

On yet a different plane do we want to make that image reflect not what we see, but rather what we imagine? Is the pseudo-reality of 1/30 or 1/500 of a second, manipulated so easy as we can in the digital era, a reflection not of what is, but rather what we'd like it to be? Is that a power that the camera sensor, binary computer code, modern optics, and computer manipulation grants us? If so, how do we use that power to create an image that evokes not just our imagination, but perhaps more importantly a collaborative evocation of the imagination for those who view it?

Why do I want to make an image? First, for myself, but equally as important to share with others, I want them to experience the same emotion, the same visceral experience, the same thrill of the moment that I have. The reality of the situation is that convergence of all these elements occurs far too seldom, but when it does—now that's an image.

Herb Brail
Dearborn, MI

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberWed 13-Mar-13 12:46 AM
#19. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 18

North Vancouver, CA

>Why do I want to "make" images? An interesting and
>though provoking question. Are we
>able to effectively communicate our vision?
do we want to make that image reflect
>not what we see, but rather what we imagine? how do we use that
>power to create an image that evokes not just our imagination,
>but perhaps more importantly a collaborative evocation of the
>imagination for those who view it?
>Why do I want to make an image? First, for myself, but
>equally as important to share with others, I want them to
>experience the same emotion...

Hi Herb,

Thanks for your thoughtful, considered response.
During the workshop, we will try to explore the notion of documenting the "experiential" world vs. interpreting what we think we see. The more I learn about how we "see," the more I realize that what we see is actually an illusion. Whether we have evolved or were created, the reality is that our brains and physiology predispose us to consciously and unconsciously evaluate images in a particular way. I will try to help those that want to document what they think they see, but it is actually more difficult to do then to interpret the world around us. We can explore a number of avenues of photographic thought using the Urban Environment as our laboratory.

You are getting me even more excited about coming to Chicago!

Regards,

Rick

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sun 14-Apr-13 03:20 PM
1025 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 19

St Louis, US

Rick,
Because I will be commuting every day to the Chicago workshop. Do you recommend I bring along my laptop computer? And, if so, is there a secure place for me to store it when we're out shooting?
I am really looking forward to this workshop!
Cheryl

Cheryl

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberMon 15-Apr-13 03:02 AM
#21. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 20

North Vancouver, CA

Do you recommend I bring along my laptop computer? And, if
>so, is there a secure place for me to store it when we're out
>shooting?

Hi Cheryl,

We will be reviewing images at various times on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
A computer is not required, but I will be using my computer and software to comment on and (with permission) I will be showing how I "re-visualize" or post process images.

However, this is not a workshop on how to use software. Should you wish to "play" with your own images, you might want your computer available at certain times during the workshop experience. (It appears from your personal Nikonian information, that you are quite proficient in the use of software.)

I cannot say how secure our hotel meeting room will be. I will try to have our room locked when we are out shooting. However, even if the meeting room is secured, my experience is that the hotel staff will have access for cleaning and so forth.

I am really looking forward to what should be an enjoyable learning experience for all.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Tue 16-Apr-13 02:24 PM
#24. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 21

St Louis, US

Rick,
Thanks, see you in a few weeks.

Cheryl

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sun 28-Apr-13 06:17 PM
#27. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 21

St Louis, US

Rick,
Because I'm commuting to and from the workshop, do you know what meeting room we'll be in for the Chicago Workshop? Or, is our group meeting somewhere in the hotel?
Thanks

Cheryl

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberSun 28-Apr-13 06:31 PM
#28. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 27

North Vancouver, CA

Hi Cheryl,

We will be meeting in one of the Hotel meeting rooms. I don't yet know the name of the room.
I am arriving in Chicago on Monday Evening so that I can have a couple of days to possibly scout out some locations for some field photography.
See you at 10am on Thursday. We are allowing for a mid morning start because we are going to try to photograph in the late afternoon through dusk and beyond if desired.
I note that there is a chance for rain showers, so bring some protective clothing for yourself and your camera.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sun 28-Apr-13 06:52 PM
#29. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 28

St Louis, US

Rick,
Thanks, I'll definitely bring some protective clothing for myself as well as my camera.
I'm also going to bring along some warmer clothing than what the predicted weather forecasts because Chicago weather is so unpredictable.
Safe travels to Chicago.

Cheryl

hbrail Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011Mon 15-Apr-13 02:20 PM
#22. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 20
Mon 15-Apr-13 02:25 PM by hbrail

Dearborn, US

Cheryl,

Whenever I travel, I always use this cable system to secure my laptop with the notesaver, http://www.compu-lock.com/. It's a far better system than the run of the mill laptop locks. I usually run the cable around the folding table's legs. It precludes the quick snatch and grab of most thefts. I even secure my laptop when I leave my hotel room. My business takes me to lots of meetings and with the travel I enjoy, it's great peace of mind.

I'm sure other participants staying at the hotel, including me, would be glad to let you leave your laptop in their room instead of the meeting room. Don't hesitate to ask.

Herb

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 15-Apr-13 02:25 PM
#23. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 22

St Louis, US

Herb,
Thanks for the link for the cable system and also for volunteering to let me stash my laptop in your room.
I've been wanting to get a cable to secure my Apple Mac Book Pro 15" laptop, so I'll definitely check out the link.
I'm really looking forward to this workshop.

Cheryl

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Tue 16-Apr-13 02:37 PM
#25. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 22

St Louis, US

Herb,
I ordered the cable system from Compu-lock. Very nice customer service person. He suggested for my 15" Mac Book Pro I order the Note-Saver 1.
Thanks again for the link.

Cheryl

oncewaspfd Registered since 29th Jul 2010Sat 20-Apr-13 12:36 AM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 25

Auburn Hills, US

Anyone going to Chicago will to split the cost of a room?

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 07-May-13 06:57 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Just finished the Chicago Urban & Street Photography Workshop with Rick Hulbert - Fantastic! I learned a ton and had a great time. Rick is a fabulous teacher, photographer and architect - he really knows his stuff and isn't shy about sharing his experience and knowledge.

Well worth the money as I walked out of the workshop feeling as though I'm headed to the next level as opposed to walking out of the workshop with a few good images but haven't learned much.

Tom

hbrail Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011Tue 07-May-13 07:35 PM
#31. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue 07-May-13 07:37 PM by hbrail

Dearborn, US

I want to echo Tom's comments. Rick is an exceptional instructor who truly loves working with students of every level of experience. I'll never look at "edges" in my photographs (or those of others) in the same casual manner after spending four days with Rick.

My favorite part of the workshop was watching Rick take one of our images both as shot and after our efforts at post-processing, and then watch him manipulate the original NEF file in real time, doing what I now know as post-visualization. Incredible!

I learned as much about Lightroom 4, Nik, and other software as I did out in the field shooting. A great balance between the classroom and being in an urban environment.

If you are even thinking about taking this workshop and Toronto is the next city-do not hesitate--sign up today.

Herb Brail

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Wed 08-May-13 02:00 PM
#32. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 31

St Louis, US

I also want to say what a truly learning experience I had with Rick. He is an amazing and talented teacher who was so willing to share his secrets, wanting us to succeed and advance our photography to the next level.
I learned so much from him, from our photo expeditions in the fields of Chicago to manipulating the images in post production.
This was my first class taken with Rick and I hope it won't be my last.

Cheryl

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Wed 17-Jul-13 11:29 PM
581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 32

Saddle river, US

Rick:

I just registered for the September Boston workshop. I have a couple of questions:

- I assume there's no real problem if I don't stay at the hotel suggested? I may stay with my sister in Cambridge.

- I also assume that I don't need to bring my Nikon gear; I'd like to try my m42 kit for this and see how the smaller everything works. In addition to just having less weight to carry, I think the smaller form may be an advantage for some of the street shooting.

Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the crowd.

Scott

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberThu 18-Jul-13 07:12 AM
#34. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 32

North Vancouver, CA

Hi Scott,

You are correct on both accounts.
Any camera will do and you can take advantage of lodging anywhere you would like.
I am looking forward to meeting you as well.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Tue 03-Sep-13 02:35 AM
581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 34

Saddle river, US

I'm assuming that we'll keeep our tripods with us all day. Anyone have any innovative ideas on how to carry a tripod around Boston (I have a Gitzo GT2541)? When I have my DX kit, I need a backpack anyway so strapping it on the bag works well. For this workshop I'm planning to use my m43 kit, which largely fits in a modest waist pack, making access to lenses and filters real easy. Tripod slings seem uncomfortable and unwiedly, and I need to leave my hands free for shooting.

I may be reduced to using an empty backpack as a tripod carrier!

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberTue 03-Sep-13 06:23 AM
#36. "RE: 2013 "URBAN and STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" WORKSHOPS"
In response to Reply # 35

North Vancouver, CA

Hi Scott,

While Tripods can be a pain to carry around, it sure can make a big difference in the quality of your photography. I usually hold my tripod in one hand while I am moving about.
However, there will be times when a tripod won't be the preferred option, like should you decide to want to try some "Street" photography.

I am looking forward to meeting you and the others.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada

Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians Academy NA Workshops (Public) topic #1643 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.