nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Duck

Charlotte, US
889 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Duck Basic Member
Fri 05-Jan-01 06:04 PM

Hello fellow Nikonians,

Imaging Naming and Database information:

I have several hundred, maybe thousands of family/vacation slides and i wish to scan them for safe storage and for sharing with other family members. I am looking at getting a Nikon coolscan III for the scanning portion and then store the images onto CD's with my CD-writer. I wish to start my own database using either Microsoft Access or Filemaker Pro. I hope to add many more of my own images and I was wondering what categories should I setup for each image (past and present)?

Image Name=
Camera=
lens=
focal length=
flash=
f/stop=
speed=
film type=
location=
time/date=

my next question is...
once I scan the slides, what do I name that image. I would like to cross reference all my images, labeling all my slides with a file name that I can then look up and retrieve the tech data on the image...

I have tried several naming procedures, but i have yet to see one that seems to work for me... Do I want to have a name (8 characters or less) that I can read and understand exactly what that image is...(98NC0905 = 98 being the year, NC being North Carolina, 09 being the month of September and 05 being image 5 of that month) or shall i use a numbering system (98091505 = 98 being the year, 09 being the month, 15 being the day, and 05 being the image number for that day), one that would require me looking up that number to find out what image that is.

I would appreciate any help and advice concerning digital imaging my valued images...

Bryan
picture taker!

D U C K                 

Bryan Duckett
Charlotte, NC (USA)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Digital Age