Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #7972
View in linear mode

Subject: "XP anyone?" Previous topic | Next topic
Paul K Basic MemberSat 25-Sep-04 08:08 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"XP anyone?"

Rijsenhout, NL

Hi all,

I just bought a laptop for on location use with my D1/D1X, which has XP Home as operating system

On my desktop I use ACDSee 3.0, Capture 3.5 and Photoshop 4.0, which operate fine with Win 98SE.

I'm not an XP user, but remember reading something that this OS is very picky about the software it's combined with (not always compatible with 'older' versions)

As I obviously do use older software (Why replace when it's still working) I wonder if anyone can tell me whether it now becomes inevitable that I have to upgrade.

The Nikon support site already has confirmed that using Capture 3.0/3.5 should be no problem.

Can anybody inform me on their experiences with the other software I mention in combination with XP?

Thanks in advance

kind regards

Paul K

All in a day's work

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 25-Sep-04 09:45 PM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: XP anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

You should not have any issues using Windows based software that was released in the last four years or so. The problem that you are talking about is with old 16-bit software. XP runs in a true 32-bit environment. Most developers new well in advance that the Windows OS would be moving to this more powerful architecture, so they accommodated for this.

Unless you are running something very old then you may have issues. But, quite frankly, if you do have a problem I think you have squeezed every ounce of use out it and it is time to upgrade.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

KrAzY Registered since 30th Mar 2002Mon 27-Sep-04 10:24 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: XP anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with the last post. Windows XP should not have any trouble with any of those applications. Newer versions of ACDSee are much better (read:faster) though, and might be worth the upgrade. I believe that they offer discounts to returning customers too.

I would encourage you to upgrade to XP Pro, if you're looking to spend some money. Pro is much more stable and configurable. Just my .02 .

Enjoy!

Will Seberger
http://members.cox.net/wseberger

Paul K Basic MemberThu 30-Sep-04 09:43 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: XP anyone?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rijsenhout, NL

Thanks for the reactions

Just wanted to report that Capture works without a problem, maybe because I didn't install SP2 (but as I'm not going to use this computer on the net, I see no problem with that) so the thumbnails still are there

ACDsee 3.1 also works without any ripples

Only Photoshop initially gave problems due to a message that I supposedly didn't have enough memory.

As I have about one Gig, that seemed impossible (I run the same program on my PII 350 with 256 MB RAM, sloooowww, but still it runs)

After some searching I found a site

sitehttp://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

where after some reading I saw mentioned to simply turn of the function with which XP designates a portion as Virtuel Memory.

Won't say it's legit, but it did the trick for me

BTW, the Acer Aspire 1703SC (with 1Gig RAM and 120 Gig HDD) I got (second hand) is great.

Downloads a 512 MB cf card in 1 minute 30, batch processes over 100 NEF's in RBG Tiffs in under 7 minutes, and with a lovely big 17' screen as extra.

Only downside is the weight (7 kilo's) and limited battery life (about 1,5 hours)

But as I don't plan to lug it along all the time (more like for downloading, initial postprocessing and CD burning in the hotel in the evening, with ACDC so not depending on the battery) that's not really an issue.

All in a day's work

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #7972 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.