New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5
TomNJ TomNJ

Is from: Floyd, US
219 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006
Thu 04-Dec-14 09:46 PM
I have always shot in JPEG Large Fine with my D7100, which so far has seemed fine for my purposes. My understanding is that the primary advantage of RAW is that the image is created in post processing by manipulating the raw data, adjusting a broad range of variables such as color, contrast, exposure, sharpness, distortions, etc., and then saved in your desired format. JPEGs, on the other hand, are created in the camera based on preset variables.

Where I am confused is that I can also manipulate JPEGs in PP for the same variables. Is the main difference that an adjusted JPEG loses quality each time it is re-saved, or that the adjustments lack the quality or range available in RAW? Is there really a lot of difference between a RAW created image and a JPEG that has been adjusted and re-saved just once?

I am trying to decide whether it is worth the time and effort to learn a RAW processing program and all the subsequent PP work needed to create images. I realize this depends on what I am trying to achieve with my photography, but for now I’m just trying to understand the range and magnitude of the difference.

TomNJ

Please visit my Nikonian Gallery

Victorian Watercolors

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: RAW vs JPEG