New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

New DAM Workflow Questions

jldodge

Is from: Milton, US
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jldodge Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009
Tue 02-Dec-14 09:46 AM
I have benefitted from many previous forum discussions in developing my DAM workflow. This is my first DAM and I realize I may be going a bit overboard, but I have the time (near retirement) and budget so would like to settle in on a process that has a long, stable lifetime. I currently shoot with a D7100s and have a large library of photos (over 5,000; mostly family and vacations) to ingest, catalog, and eventually edit for "show".

After a fair amount of research and forum reviews, I have come up with the following workflow: Photo Mechanic (for ingestion), Media Pro (for cataloguing), and Lightroom (for editing, enhancing, etc.). Here are some of my questions for which I would like your observations, suggestions, or advice.

1) Are there any issues or inherent conflicts with this workflow that I should be aware of or consider?

2) Should I use sidecars or simply imbed the metadata into the file itslef?

3) Are these software packages actively supported and updated, i.e. are they likely to be around for some time OR are there newer software packages that are establishing a stronger following?

4) Except for the file naming conventions, can I use the same process for both my personal collection and a professional collection?

5) Am I missing anything with this workflow?

Thanks in advance for your help on this project ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New DAM Workflow Questions