New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

CryptoWall 2.0 Virus?

NRVVA NRVVA

Is from: New River Valley, US
3137 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NRVVA Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2013
Sun 09-Nov-14 09:01 PM | edited Mon 10-Nov-14 06:24 AM by NRVVA
This post is about something named CryptoWall 2.0 that is obviously a virus.

I have some images in folders on my Windows7 hard drive that won't display and have always displayed before this problem. When clicking on the individual image square, a window opens that says "Windows Photo Viewer does not support this format." Along side some of the squares in the folder that should be jpeg images, but are now only showing a Windows style landscape scene, are three squares with some mysterious writing. One has a blue Internet Explorer symbol and has the title of DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION. I opened that image and I got this big long page that says all of my images have been encrypted with CryptoWall 2.0 and I cannot open them unless I use their code. The rest of the page is devoted to various links of instructions which I think require me to open them and pay someone some money to get my images back. I cannot delete those images by right-clicking them. Needless to say I have NOT opened any of the links.

This just happened today. I was rearranging some of my photos in Windows, trying to delete some unimportant ones and clean things up a bit. I set up one main folder in Pictures named "My Photos" and set up some sub-folders in it with appropriate topics such as Family, Outdoors, Sports, etc. I had several photos in "loose" folder on my hard drive and on my desk top that I copy/pasted into the appropriate sub-folders in the new main folder. I then deleted the original "loose" folders after making sure that the copy/paste process worked and the pictures had indeed copied to where I wanted them. My intent is to have one main folder with sub-folders in the Pictures section of the hard drive so it is easier to back up that one folder. I use LR4.4 for post-processing and am trying to get a smooth, simple workflow set up.

So far I only see on of the sub-folders corrupted.

This week I used a NEW Delkin 16gig 700x CF card for a high-school volleyball shoot. After downloading the images into LR4.4, I noticed a few times that the LR4.4 program did not function properly, taking forever to load single images into the Develop mode and at one time giving me a semi-white screen.

Could the new CF card have contained a virus? I took it back to the photo store where I bought it and it checked out ok on their computers with pictures from an in-store D800.

I started a back-up to a WD Ultra Passport and it told me it would take 45 minutes to transfer 12.5 gigs of data, which it said was 2,000 pictures. I don't have 2,000 pictures. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite which is not terribly fast nor terribly slow. Should it take that long to transfer that amount of data? The back-up started and was taking forever with no progress so I cancelled it. Later when I checked the Passport, I did see a file for the pictures and I opened it to see what had transferred. It had not transferred very much picture data but what it had looked like the image squares on the corrupted files on the main hard drive. I have other items backed up on that Passport.

I am open to advice and suggestions. I am NOT opening anything to do with Pictures until I get this situation resolved. I would appreciate any advice on how to do that.

Thanks.

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CryptoWall 2.0 Virus?