Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67815
View in linear mode

Subject: "27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas" Previous topic | Next topic
GWHITSON Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2006Mon 09-Dec-13 11:43 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"

rockville centre, US

My wife has agreed that I can have a new Monitor as my big Christmas present (relieved I don't want another expensive lens) I have been reading the forums and other sources but I am getting flooded and frozen.
I have always been very satisfied by following the communities recommendations for peripherals as well as lenses etc.

I currently have a 23inch Samsung calibrated by a spyder pro 3. I am losing it to one of my kids.

I was thinking about a 27-30 inch. It has to be under a thousand dollars but I think she will spring for 750 without my begging.

Could I hear your favorites? Also has anyone seen any sales. There is a nec 27 inch at b/h on sale.

thanks and happy holidays
george

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas
esantos Moderator
10th Dec 2013
GWHITSON Silver Member
12th Dec 2013
walkerr Administrator
12th Dec 2013
esantos Moderator
12th Dec 2013
GWHITSON Silver Member
12th Dec 2013
esantos Moderator
13th Dec 2013
GWHITSON Silver Member
13th Dec 2013
phlpyro Gold Member
11th Dec 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
11th Dec 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 10-Dec-13 04:30 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 10-Dec-13 04:31 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

I'm a big fan of NEC displays. You can certainly procure a 27" model for under $1,000 but from my price checking a 30" is well over that mark. There are several 27" models to choose from going up to about ~$1,300. Two in particular that I like are the MultiSync PA271W-BK which is an IPS, wide gamut display backlit by a cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) AND the MultiSync PA272W-BK which is also an IPS display with AdobeRGB 1998 gamut and backlit by LED.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

GWHITSON Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2006Thu 12-Dec-13 12:02 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 1

rockville centre, US

Thanks for all the suggestions

the PA271W is over 500 dollars less expensive than the PA272W (749 at B/H with a $350 instant rebate) I know the 272 is the newer just released model but the only obvious differences seems to be an HDMI input. Will I need that for photography? The others seem out of my range.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 12-Dec-13 12:40 AM
14601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 12-Dec-13 12:42 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I have a PA271 (plus a PA241). Both are excellent. The differences between the older models that I have and the newer ones are pretty minor. I suspect you'll enjoy the PA271, and it's certainly a good value right now. The HDMI input isn't needed for normal photography work.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 12-Dec-13 01:31 AM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 4

McAllen, US

The main difference is the newer model uses an LED backlight system. Generally, LEDs give you better color accuracy. HDMI is not needed. In fact DVI is better for computer use. The main difference between the two interfaces is that HDMI carries the audio signal as well. I have two PA241W-BK's running on the DVI connections and they are excellent. If you want to save some money the older model using the CCFL backlighting is perfectly fine. Make sure you get the SpectraView II calibrating/profiling system. If you already have a colorimeter/spectro all you need is the software. If you don't, the bundled one is your best choice. You can check here if your sensor is compatible with SV II.

Ernesto Santos

GWHITSON Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2006Thu 12-Dec-13 09:45 PM
#7. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 6

rockville centre, US

ok,
I think the pa241w works best for me. Just one point of confusion. The Spectraview 11 system. Do I order that from b/h when I order the monitor or is that a separate item? Does this replace my spyder 3 or used in conjunction with it.

again thanks everybody for your continued informed help

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 13-Dec-13 01:30 AM
#8. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 7

McAllen, US

Go to the link in my previous post and check if your Spyder 3 is on the list of compatible sensors. If it is you don't need to buy the SpectraView II bundle with the sensor. All you need is the software. You can order it at B&H when you order the monitor. I believe it comes on a CD. Alternatively, go back to the NEC link with the list of monitors and go to the tab that says "Purchase". There you can pay and download it directly from NEC.

Ernesto Santos

GWHITSON Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2006Fri 13-Dec-13 06:50 PM
#9. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 8

rockville centre, US

The spider 3 is compatible so I'll order the monitor and the software or download it. Thanks and happy holidays

George

phlpyro Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2007Wed 11-Dec-13 08:18 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

Harrow, GB

Hi George
This year I purchased an Eizo CX240 24inch colour edge monitor and couldn't be more pleased. I use Spyder 4 to keep it calibrated. A 5 year guarantee as well. I use Capture One and I find I have plenty of working room on the screen.The 24inch size works very well for me
Phlpyro
Paul H Lunnon

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 11-Dec-13 04:11 PM
1861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 27 to 30 inch monitor for Christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

I have two NEC monitors, MultiSync 2180UX about 6 years old and MultiSync PA301W about 2 years old and I use both monitors in parallel for photo editing.

Both monitors have been operating trouble free, have a very wide color gamut, brilliant colors and are easily calibrated. If you can swing it, I recommend the PA 301W, since you can never have too much "real estate". If the 30" version is too expensive, the corresponding 27" model is a decent alternative.

Tristan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67815 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.