Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67806
View in linear mode

Subject: "Up Sizing Images" Previous topic | Next topic
Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sun 08-Dec-13 01:30 AM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Up Sizing Images"

Norcross, US

I've started working with the local baseball team to produce clubhouse pictures of players. To that end I've inherited a bunch of pictures that while in good shape from a technical perspective aren't large enough to produce the 8x10 images they want. For example, the last image I was working with was roughly 1400x1600 pixels,

I was hoping I could upsize enough in Lightroom but that isn't working. The images are very noisy.

I thought I had read about some software here that does a better job at doing this but can't find it.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sun 08-Dec-13 02:56 AM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Up Sizing Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

You might consider Perfect Resize; I think it is from OnOne software. At one time it was called Genuine Fractals.

Laverne

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 08-Dec-13 01:39 PM
8608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Up Sizing Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Bob

My experience with upsizing is that your editing workflow can make a very big difference. You need to minimize noise early in the workflow and get the image to the size you need. I don't apply any edits at ingest or before upsizing if I have a problem image. I may apply a little noise reduction and a very light touch of High Pass sharpening with a small radius to tighten edges (both applied selectively). I only upsize 50% in a single step, and then after upsizing clean up the image and resize again.

With a 1400 x 1600 image, one round of upsizing should work since you need about 60% larger. Just be sure to make an approximate crop and then upsize before edits. You could try two rounds of upsizing (to 2000 pixels then to 2400 pixels on the long side) using a lighter touch to get to the same place.

Shadow recovery or exposure adjustments are particularly prone to creating noise when you upsize. But Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, and many other normal edit steps can also increase noise if you use the step before upsizing.

I have not tried it, but I expect you could upsize more than needed and then downsize for some images.

You could also add grain (and then downsize or just add grain without downsizing) to make it look natural.

As far as software goes, Nik Dfine is in the Nik Collection and it's an excellent product that works well with Lightroom and Photoshop. The Nik Collection includes Silver Efex and Color Efex - both staples in my editing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 08-Dec-13 05:02 PM
11627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Up Sizing Images"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

At a print resolution of 360 ppi, 1400x1600 should have plenty of resolution to upsize to 8x10. You would be starting with a print size of 3.8" x 4.4" inches at the native resolution - to upsize to exactly 8x10 you would have to crop slightly. A dedicated resize program such as the ones mentioned is not needed in this situation. They are only of slight benefit when resizing to really large image sizes. The resizing algorithms in Lightroom and Photoshop are more than adequate. If you are seeing noise that is not the result of the resizing, it is the result of bad exposure, a lesser quality camera, or both, hence in my opinion it is a technical shortcoming.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Tue 10-Dec-13 03:55 AM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Up Sizing Images"
In response to Reply # 3

Norcross, US

Thanks for the feedback. I've had some computer issues and really haven't had a chance to play with it. One thing I did notice is that I sharpened the image, just as I would have done with one of my images, and I think it introduced a lot of noise into a jpg image that was already processed. The new export seems a lot sharper on the screen. I'll get Elements installed so I can layer some logos on the image, reinstall my printer's software and see if this solves the problem.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67806 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.