Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67714
View in linear mode

Subject: "capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5" Previous topic | Next topic
mrwilson Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2013Sun 27-Oct-13 07:30 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5"

springfield, US

I have been using View nx 2 and capture nx2 for my image processing. I am not totally happy with the noise reduction in the capture program. Does Lightroom 5 have better noise reduction? Other ways that either program might do better than the other program.

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2013Sun 27-Oct-13 07:53 PM
1091 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Hi Larry,

I honestly can't say about Lightroom 5, but I have both Capture NX2 and Lightroom 3. As of about a year or more ago, I use Lightroom for everything and C-NX2 just sits on the computer unused. For whatever reason, I've found the LR menus much easier to follow and use - which is why I stuck with it.

I find that the Noise Reduction is absolutely amazing in that program (LR3). I would think LR5 would blow the 3 away with all of the upgrades they've made! I have shot my D700 at ISO 12000 and up and have gotten many usable images (and low to no noticeable Noise at all)... I don't know if that helps you or not.

I am planning on getting a new computer around the first of the year and plan to upgrade to 5 at that time... I can't wait!

Jack
D700/D2X/F100

mrwilson Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2013Sun 27-Oct-13 09:34 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 1

springfield, US

Thanks, I'm just getting some opinions on the two programs. I was talking to a friend today and he said that Lightroom 5 was excellent at noise reduction. I do question if Capture nx2 is an good noise reduction program?

Larry

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 27-Oct-13 11:16 PM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I would give the edge to LR5 for noise reduction. It's very good until you hit really high, nasty ISOs. NX2 breaks down earlier.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Mon 28-Oct-13 12:04 PM
583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: capture nx 2 versus lightroom 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Franktown, US

My observation is that since Nikon came out with NX2, LR has been through several major iterations. Likewise, so have the operating systems on Win and Mac platforms. Nikon seems to lag these major OS updates, and the current Mac update to Mavericks is no exception. While the Adobe product line is ready, Nikon, Phase One, Corel, and others remain stuck. This is very typical. So, that's one consideration.

Another is that with NX2, you require another app to sort, browse, and keyword your images; i.e., a digital asset management tool. NX2 is mainly a RAW image editor, as Photoshop is, although more limited in its abilities than PS in many ways. Because of the primary goal of editing NEFs, as opposed to any other file format, and without a support for layers, NX2 will never bring the complete range of capabilities that PS has. You can also add layer editing to LR with a plugin, and this is not an option for NX2.

Batch edits are a breeze in LR; for example, after correcting the white balance, camera calibration, dust removal, lens correction, curves, color, and so on, in one image of a set, these can all be applied to hundreds of other shots with a copy & paste or synchronization operation. The updates are applied rapidly while you keep on working. In NX2, a similar batch operation requires the creation of a special batch edit list that has to be applied to each NEF file individually. This means that NX2 has to open each file, apply the edits, save the file, close it, and then open the next. Meanwhile, you cannot use the program; and updates to hundreds of image files can take a while. I mean, a long while.

LR will import your images from your camera quickly, and it can apply a set of image modifications in the process. That can be as simple as renaming them from DSCxxxx to Shoot_name-Shoot_date-Image_Number or as complex as applying white balance, camera calibration, lens corrections, and a tone curve. Exports are very straightforward also. For example, if you want to export all 5-star images from a shoot with edits as JPGs at 85% compression, reduced to 1000 pixels on the long edge and with a watermark, and without certain metadata (like location information, ranking, and keywords) then in LR you can go ahead and do that. NX2 doesn't even get close to this functionality.

Did I mention location? In LR's location module, you can add location data to your images by simply selecting them and dropping them onto a terrain map. So, two years later, you can find the images you took at a particular park or on some street in New York or Seattle. Again, not an option in NX2.

LR also includes a great print module, while NX2's printing capabilities are limited at best. If you are into social media or sharing images on the web, LR builds in functionality for this.

Want to build a book? Guess the answer. LR yes; NX2 no.

I used to think that NX2 was at least better at handling lens correction issues for Nikon cameras with Nikon lenses. Then I found that Adobe has an application that can provide profile sets for lens and body combinations that don't ship with LR or PS. With that, I discovered lens profiles that I use regularly and that weren't included in LR by default. The benefit was that once I'd installed them on my computer, they were also available to Capture One, which I also use.

Extensibility… You can find many plugins for LR to add color correction, B&W editing, layers, lens distortion removal, and hosts of other effects. With NX2, the Nik set is available, which does include the Dfine noise removal kit; but since you can also get that in LR, I'd call it a wash.

So...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67714 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.