nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67710
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which should I use...?" Previous topic | Next topic
FrankL0 Silver Member  Letchworth Garden City, UK  Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011 Sun 27-Oct-13 01:08 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which should I use...?"

OnOne Photo Suite 8, Photomatix, Google Nik Collection, PT Lens, which to get is my dilemma.

Things I immediately need are:
- to correct barrel and/or pin cushion distortion
- HDR

.... but my needs will presumably grow as I discover more and more features available in these packages and I want something that will grow with me as my experience increases.

Oh, and I use Aperture3 on my iMac for PP at present.

Thoughts and ideas much appreciated. Many thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which should I use...? esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
27th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Which should I use...? FrankL0 Silver Member
27th Oct 2013
     Reply message RE: Which should I use...? esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
27th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Which should I use...? ajdooley Gold Member
03rd Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Which should I use...? nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
03rd Nov 2013
04th Nov 2013
          Reply message RE: Which should I use...? Ineluki Gold Member
04th Nov 2013
04th Nov 2013
04th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Which should I use...? FredB D3 Silver Member
05th Nov 2013
05th Nov 2013
05th Nov 2013
          Reply message RE: Which should I use...? FredB D3 Silver Member
05th Nov 2013
05th Nov 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sun 27-Oct-13 01:29 PM
12084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Any one of those programs/plug-ins are a good choice. OnOne is just about to release their latest version Photo Suite 8 (November 2013) so you might want to look at getting the latest version. Of all your choices Photo Suite and Nik Collection offer the most tools. PT Lens is a great little program but beyond distortion correction it doesn't do much else. For the low price it should be a consideration since programs that focus on one task are usually very good at what they do. As far as HDR processing I use Oloneo PhotoEngine, Nik HDR Efex Pro, and Photomatix - in this order of preference. If you are after natural looking HDR all three can deliver but I would have to say that Oloneo and Nik are the easiest to accomplish.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

FrankL0 Silver Member  Letchworth Garden City, UK  Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011 Sun 27-Oct-13 02:15 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 1

Very many thanks Ornesto. You meme some interesting and valid points.

I did not know the Oloneo product but see that it is only available for Windows - and I work on on OSX (iMac) platform.

KRs Frank

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sun 27-Oct-13 02:32 PM
12084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, that's true, Oloneo does not currently offer a version for Mac.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

ajdooley Gold Member  Waterloo, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Sun 03-Nov-13 10:33 PM
2245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Danger: I had the NIK Google collection installed and last mid week, when I went to open CS6 to work on some images with Viveza 2, I was unable to do so. And... the entire NIK collection was GONE. I eventually got CS6 to open, but several tries met with a message that a file was missing, making CS6 inoperative. The file was ID'd as "MSVCP110.dll."

On perusing the NIK Google site, they acknowledge the problem and tell you it is easy to fix. Only it's not easy enough for me to fix! And why do I have it in the first place? I have an up to date CS6 (not CC) and HAD a good NIK collection. I use Windows 7.

Roll forward to contacting NIK/Google. Twenty minutes on hold. Email response? Nope.

The site also claims this came about during an upgrade (which I didn't ask for) and it doesn't affect everyone!

Lots of help! NOT! Do any Nikonians have any idea what is up?

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Sun 03-Nov-13 11:34 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 03-Nov-13 11:34 PM by nrothschild

Hi Alan,

If you do a google search on "MSVCP110.dll" you will see you are not alone. This is a Microsoft Visual C runtime library module, and most likely you need to reinstall NIK, maybe after uninstalling. Seems to be at least a few unhappy campers over this, and Google is not dealing with it well.

my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley Gold Member  Waterloo, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Mon 04-Nov-13 02:32 PM
2245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Neil - I won't have to uninstall NIK. It has disappeared! Google's idea of customer service should have the prefix "Dis" appended to it. I can send them en email and allegedly they will call back -- apparently when they get good and ready to. I was never under the impression that was how the telephone was supposed to work! I'll report back if I ever hear from them. I am NOT going to cough up $149 to buy it again though.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

Ineluki Gold Member  Nürnberg, DE  Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011 Mon 04-Nov-13 02:52 PM
3684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 6

>Thanks Neil - I won't have to uninstall NIK. It has
>disappeared! Google's idea of customer service should have
>the prefix "Dis" appended to it. I can send them en
>email and allegedly they will call back -- apparently when
>they get good and ready to. I was never under the impression
>that was how the telephone was supposed to work! I'll report
>back if I ever hear from them. I am NOT going to cough up
>$149 to buy it again though.

Hello Alan,

what about a new installation of NIK? Should be working

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

ajdooley Gold Member  Waterloo, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Mon 04-Nov-13 05:06 PM
#8. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am relieved to report success. The trick is that you have to wait until Google is open -- in the US, that's not until 8:30 am, Pacific Time. After that, you can seek service, click on a request for them to call you, fill in 3 fields and wait. They called back in 2 minutes and sent me an email link. It all went well from there.

My issue could have been solved easily last week, but they aren't available on weekends! Hopefully this will successfully conclude this issue.

BTW, they did acknowledge that some people did have trouble with the updates they sent out to registered users -- it was just my turn!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

ajdooley Gold Member  Waterloo, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Mon 04-Nov-13 11:16 PM
#9. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 0

One other tip -- if you want to talk to NIK-Google -- they receive requests for return phone calls between 8:30 am and 5 pm, Pacific Coast time. Unexplained, is if you try to email a request to talk to them before that time, there's no way to do so.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

FredB D3 Silver Member  Potomac, US  Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008 Tue 05-Nov-13 03:08 PM
1015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Alan,

Great news that all went well, and I hope it continues to do so!

Just for future reference, and for others, I had a good experience with Google/NIK customer service. I had an old NIK suit that I had not used for awhile - probably through one or two generations of CS (I'm now on CC). I wanted it back (it didn't seem to want to become a plugin again). So I called Google/NIK, and I guess I hit the timing right. They checked my account history, and directed me where to download the (read their) latest version. It was "kind of like" - of course there will be no charge - you've already bought it. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the responsive outcome. All is working well.

Fred
Maryland, USA

FrankL0 Silver Member  Letchworth Garden City, UK  Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011 Tue 05-Nov-13 04:17 PM
#11. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 10

Excuse me for pointing out gentlemen that, although it is most interesting and unfortunate to hear of difficulties that fellow Nikonians are having with Google NIK Collection, the original post I made on this thread was...

'OnOne Photo Suite 8, Photomatix, Google Nik Collection, PT Lens, which to get is my dilemma.'

I would still be grateful for any opinions among members on the relative merits of each of these to help me decide the direction to go in?

Perhaps a seperate thread is required for follow members to support each other with their issues with Google NIK Collection?

Regards, Frank

ajdooley Gold Member  Waterloo, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Tue 05-Nov-13 06:19 PM
#12. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 05-Nov-13 06:21 PM by ajdooley

Frank --

A thousand apologies... I guess I co-opted your thread.

Here's my observation of the NIK collection and OnOne's counterpart.

Now that I have recovered the NIK collection, and in as much as I have the onOne PS7, I find both very useful. I find the most use for NIK's Viveza2. It allows me to go in, for example, to pic out faces from a scene, or even part of a face and add warmth, brightness, etc., without having to bother with layers. I love the NIKpoint capability. OnOne's Resize (once called genuine fractals) is another favorite for upsizing decade-old digital images. Here, for example, I have gone back to hundred of images I shot in Iraq in 2003 with a Nikin D1X, that are 1-3mb and been able to "upsize" them to pretty presentable images for large (20x30") prints.

I also have Photomatix, but have not used it in so long that I hesitate to recommend.

I have no experience with PT lens.

If I was choosing today -- I'd grab the NIK collection first, followed by OnOne -- with Version 8 not here until later in November. I hope that starts to bring the thread back to where you intended it to go! Sorry!

BTW, I fully agree on the uselessness of minitripods. They're too short and fall over too easily!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA

FredB D3 Silver Member  Potomac, US  Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008 Tue 05-Nov-13 06:28 PM
1015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 11

Hi Frank,

Then are we to take it that you do not care about follow-on customer support (CS)? I believe most people would consider CS (or a lack of it) to be a relative merit, even if a secondary one, when comparing products.

Fred
Maryland, USA

FrankL0 Silver Member  Letchworth Garden City, UK  Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011 Tue 05-Nov-13 09:10 PM
#14. "RE: Which should I use...?"
In response to Reply # 13

No, you are not to take it that I don't care and your inference of such is a little inappropriate.

I made it clear that people's difficulties with Google CS is concerning and unfortunate.

I also suggested that it belonged in a seperate thread as it had become a diversion of attention away from the original intent of the thread I initiated.

I hope that has clarified the matter for you.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67710 Previous topic | Next topic