nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67696
View in linear mode

Subject: "backing up to the cloud" Previous topic | Next topic
helmdr Silver Member  Houston, US  Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012 Thu 17-Oct-13 10:19 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"backing up to the cloud"

I recently lost (yesterday) a 3tb drive that had 20,000 NEF files on it . Luckily I had gotten the crashplan + with unlimited space. It took almost a month to get it uploaded about six months ago, but I can tell you, it paid for itself many times over yesterday. I am currently restoring a new drive and no loss of pictures. It will take 15 days to download it all, but I dont care. I lost nothing.

Word of advice for everyone, my drive was a La Clie, 3tb and crashed after six months.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.   Kleinburg, CA  Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:54 PM
1257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: backing up to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

I love my LaCie monitor but have had two LaCie external drives die and will not consider them again. I've been told it is often the power supply that is the cause of death.

On the backup issue I have never quite got the cloud option. Using a $50 dual disk dockers a full backup can be made in hours and resynced periodically in minutes for about $100 for a 2TB drive. Pop the drive out of the docker and it's safely off-line. Do it again and you have double protection...

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

sabbey51 Gold Member  Saddle river, US  Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010 Wed 11-Dec-13 03:50 AM
603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: backing up to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 11-Dec-13 03:55 AM by sabbey51

That's a terrible feeling when the drive fails. I'm really glad to hear that your recovery is going well. Both because it would have been terrible to loose all those photos, and because I'm pleased that Crashplan is successfully being used for a mass restore.

Neither one is sufficient, in my view. I have dual local drives (LaCie, although I may learn to regret that I guess) as well as Crashplan offsite.

The local drives give me very accessible, fast recovery.
The offsite protects against a fire or other physical damage to my home office.
The local and offsite drives are managed by different software (Time Machine and Crashplan, respectively) giving me protection against a software failure which damages the backup.

Scott

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67696 Previous topic | Next topic