nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67609
View in linear mode

Subject: "Subbing Post Processing" Previous topic | Next topic
RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Wed 04-Sep-13 04:26 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Subbing Post Processing"

US

This might be a verboten question, but I found myself wanting to contract out some post process work on some images that I wanted to really look their best.

I work mostly in a Linux environment, so I get by with UFRaw and Gimp for a lot of what I do in PP, but my candid assessment of my skills is that I'm really on the basic end of the learning curve.

Since I didn't have the time to sit on said pictures, I did some googling of contract photoshop sites. Most would do the basics of what I wanted in working over the colors/whitebalances, etc for a pretty wide range of fees. All the sites looked like they could deliver the goods, but I'm a pretty cynical guy and want to limit the number of times I light a $20 bill on fire!

Has anyone used a service like that? Good/bad? What sort of rates should be expected? Any concerns with those sites being off-shore?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Andy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Subbing Post Processing
barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.
04th Sep 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
04th Sep 2013
RazorAndy Silver Member
04th Sep 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
05th Sep 2013
RazorAndy Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
RazorAndy Silver Member
08th Sep 2013
dagoldst Gold Member
05th Oct 2013

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Wed 04-Sep-13 03:06 PM
1256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

$20 is a bargain!

I would be very careful with method of payment and releasing any personal information.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 04-Sep-13 03:56 PM
11885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 04-Sep-13 03:57 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

While I have never used the services of such from what I have seen most outfits charge by the hour for Photoshop processing. While I share Barry's concerns about payment and identification theft, I have a more basic issue. How will you be assured that the processing they apply is in keeping with your tastes and style?

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Wed 04-Sep-13 05:40 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I agree. I don't like floating payment information out to anyone that isn't reputable. Hard thing here is that I have no idea who is. Do printing labs do that sort of work?

The question of style, I agree that I would lose control, but there were some basic things of manipulation that I wanted to shift the work to. I am so slow at these things to get to my satisfaction, I would have been happy to trade time for artistic control.

At this stage, I don't have a well developed style or voice, so that wasn't something that was a big deal for me at the moment.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 05-Sep-13 02:45 PM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

It's been a while, but I knew of some PPA members that subcontracted image processing. It's not a bad strategy.

Some of the top printers offer reasonable editing and post processing services. I don't have a name handy, but would look for companies that support PPA. That's probably a better indication of reliability since true low end operations would probably not advertise.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 02:55 PM
#5. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the pointer! I hadn't hear of or been aware of PPA up to this point, and will definitely check it out.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 07-Sep-13 02:44 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Photo post-processing was what pushed me back into Windows and Mac platforms from Linux. You could spend a lot of money to let somebody else exercise their creative judgment on your work. Have you considered using Wine or Crossover to stay in Linux yet still run an application like View NX or Lightroom? That would make it far easier to make basic adjustments on a series of images than trying to do it with Gimp.

Visit my gallery.

RazorAndy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2013Sun 08-Sep-13 06:14 PM
#7. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Yeah, I actually run Windows 7 inside of a virtual machine on the linux box so that facility is there for me.

I had considered lightroom as a replacement for what I'm doing, and I already use ViewNX, but it seems a little clunky on the controls. In fact, ViewNX is what I used to figure out that I had an older version of DCRaw that wasn't completely compatible with my Nikon 1 V2 NEF files.

With Adobe moving to the creative cloud, should I start thinking more in those terms?

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 05-Oct-13 10:59 PM
2371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Subbing Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

Little Rock, US

>Yeah, I actually run Windows 7 inside of a virtual machine on
>the linux box so that facility is there for me.
>
>I had considered lightroom as a replacement for what I'm
>doing, and I already use ViewNX, but it seems a little clunky
>on the controls. In fact, ViewNX is what I used to figure out
>that I had an older version of DCRaw that wasn't completely
>compatible with my Nikon 1 V2 NEF files.
>
>With Adobe moving to the creative cloud, should I start
>thinking more in those terms?

Since you've not mastered any particular editor, you might want to think about focusing on a good one - there is really none better for the money than LR. You start understanding it's power, you might find it is not as clunky as you stated.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67609 Previous topic | Next topic