Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67548
View in linear mode

Subject: "Repairing Corrupted NEF Files" Previous topic | Next topic
jldodge Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009Tue 23-Jul-13 02:08 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"

Atlanta, US

I have a number of raw files that are corrupted. The culprit is a bad disk. In any event I cannot go back and "reshoot" these pics. When I view them in Windows Explorer as small/medium icons, all of the pics are viewable and appear to be okay. However, when I view them as large/extra large icons, they are "corrupted" with streaks and bands of colors horizontally across most of the picture.

I tried recovery software, e.g. Stellar, but they simply recovered the file in its corrupted state ... no repairs were done.

I have scoured the Internet and cannot find a solution.

Do you know of any utility software that repairs/restores a corrupted NEF file?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files
kj_fi Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
24th Jul 2013
jldodge Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
24th Jul 2013
jldodge Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
jldodge Silver Member
28th Jul 2013
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
28th Jul 2013

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Wed 24-Jul-13 12:37 AM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi,

sorry to hear about your problems. I'm afraid there could be so many ways of corrupting a binary file that it is almost impossible to write a generic program to fix it. There could be parts in the file which are missing or reset to zero or some random pattern.

In a very lucky scenario, it could be just a few flipped bits somewhere in the file (headers) and the image data might be recoverable but it would require intimate knowledge of the file format to put it together manually.

If the files in the disk are still recoverable as chunks of raw data and only the index of the file system is corrupted, it would be possible to compose a file by appending the chunks in right order but in a binary file, this could be very slow process.

Depending on the value of the data, you may want to ask professional services to recover the files from the disk but usually it costs a lot.

Best regards,
Kari

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 24-Jul-13 03:25 AM
11806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Is the file still accessible in a raw converter? If all that is damaged is the preview jpeg then really all is not lost, or am I not understanding your post?

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

jldodge Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009Wed 24-Jul-13 11:33 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to RAW files and post processing. I can load the files into Lightroom but they are still corrupt. For some of the NEF files, Lightroom cannot display anything.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 24-Jul-13 03:44 PM
11806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 3

McAllen, US

Okay, that clarifies. In Lightroom try exporting the corrupt NEF file as a TIF image file and see if you get a viewable image. If it does not process then the file is indeed corrupted and probably not salvageable.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

jldodge Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009Sat 27-Jul-13 06:20 PM
#5. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Okay ... I tried to export as a TIF file and it did not work. I guess I learned an important lesson ... Reformat the disks with a deep format via PC, format in camera before every shoot.

It would be interesting if Nikon could develop a repair program for their customers!

Thanks again for all the help ...

jldodge Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Sep 2009Sun 28-Jul-13 02:02 PM
#6. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

A followup question as I decide whether or not to delete the corrupted files. When I view the medium icon in Windows Explorer, all of the pictures a viewable for a couple of seconds then the corruption (streaks of pastel colors) appears to be overlayed.

My inexperienced thought is that the elements of the picture are embedded into the file. Is there some post processing software/technique that I could use on these files?

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 28-Jul-13 05:47 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Repairing Corrupted NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 6

Swisher, US

As mentioned, the preview jpeg that is embedded in the RAW NEF file might be recoverable. Give Phil Harvey's Exiftool utility a try before discarding these.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67548 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.