nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67541
View in linear mode

Subject: "Editing metadata in NEF file" Previous topic | Next topic
ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Mon 15-Jul-13 10:23 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Editing metadata in NEF file"

Andover, NJ, US

I have 3 non-CPU lenses configured in my D600. Fairly often, I will forget to check and change the non-CPU lens selection. This doesn't seem to affect anything except the focal length and possibly aperture values recorded in the metadata. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it bugs me - I like my metadata to be correct.

Is there any software (preferably free) that allows me to change focal length and aperture in a NEF file? Lightroom allows some fields to be changed, but not those. Opanda only works with JPEG and TIFF.

Thanks!

Best regards,
-Ron

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Editing metadata in NEF file
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Jul 2013
ron917 Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
ron917 Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Jul 2013
ron917 Silver Member
19th Jul 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 15-Jul-13 11:22 PM
6306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Editing metadata in NEF file"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

EXIFTool http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

combined with EXIFTool GUI http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

work great in Windows. Both are freewareware or donationware.

They do take a few minutes to configure, but work very well.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Tue 16-Jul-13 03:50 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Editing metadata in NEF file"
In response to Reply # 1

Andover, NJ, US

Thanks, Mick!

Looks like exactly what I need. I'll try those out and report back (might be a day or two).

A link on the EXIFTool home page led me to LensTagger, a Lightroom plugin that uses EXIFTool to write lens data. I'll try that also.
http://www.essl.de/wp/software/lenstagger-lightroom-plugin/

Best regards,
-Ron

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Thu 18-Jul-13 12:29 AM
#3. "RE: Editing metadata in NEF file"
In response to Reply # 2

Andover, NJ, US

Reporting back, as promised.

EXIFTool does the job! But, it is a command line utility so not very user friendly. Extremely powerful and flexible, but one must be careful with it.

LensTagger does the job from within Lightroom! This is exactly what I was hoping for. It allows one to edit lens info in the metadata, including the lens name. It makes it possible to use Lightroom's library filters to work with non-CPU lenses - they don't all get grouped under "0.0mm f/0.0". There seems to be a way to save and recall lens presets, but I haven't got that working yet.

EXIFTool GUI works perfectly to display the metadata, far more than any other program I've tried. But, I was not able to make it update the metadata in a NEF file. I only spent a few minutes with it, I am probably missing a something. I will need to spend more time with it.

Newer link for EXIFTool GUI (from EXIFTool page): http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

A big "Thank you" to Mick for pointing me in right direction.

Best regards,
-Ron

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 18-Jul-13 12:40 AM
6306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Editing metadata in NEF file"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

EXIFTool GUI will do what you want. Spend a little time with it and you will figure it out.

Another useful one is EXIFCopier available at http://exifcopier/.110mb.com IT also uses EXIFTool, but simplifies batch EXIF copying, backup, restoration and extraction of JPG's from NEF's, based on directories and file extensions. It's slick.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Fri 19-Jul-13 06:12 PM
#5. "RE: Editing metadata in NEF file"
In response to Reply # 4

Andover, NJ, US

EXIFTool GUI is working now, I can update the metadata. Don't know what I was doing wrong the first time I tried it.

Best regards,
-Ron

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67541 Previous topic | Next topic