nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photo Ninja for V1 NEF files

bobgcupertino

Cupertino, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobgcupertino Registered since 14th Jun 2013
Fri 05-Jul-13 04:57 PM

This item might be posted in a post-processing forum, but it is my first post on Nikonians, having recently started with my first Nikon camera, a Nikon 1 V1. And this raw converter has proved itself to me on my Nikon NEF's from the V1.

I have been dealing with digital since 2004 and have used almost all the major image processing software over the years. I would like to recommend Photo Ninja, a raw converter from Picturecode.com, which produces superb tiffs and jpegs from V1 NEF files.

It has three main virtues:

1) its conversions in general are very accurate, detailed, artifact-free, and pleasing.

2) It uses built-in presets to facilitate effortless conversions, such as Scenic for almost everything except portraits, Portrait, Neutral, Scenic monotone, Portrait monotone.

3) It allows you to tailor its handling of 11 different aspects of conversion: demosaicing, color correction, exposure, color enhancement, noise reduction (using a current built-in version of the famous Noise Ninja), sharpening, chromatic aberration, vignetting, distortion, and cropping.

I am still learning, of course, but I would conclude at this point that except for localized corrections (a la healing brush) it can produce fully finished versions of your photos ready for cataloging, printing, posting, etc.

There's a lot to it, but if you haven't tried Photo Ninja, you should consider downloading a trial.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G