New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?

Bravozulu

Is from: Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 03rd Jun 2012
Fri 28-Jun-13 02:51 PM
I just read few threads here about Aperture and Lightroom and CNX2. My new iMac arrives today, so it is time to firm up my decisions.

The last step in my workflow will be either the apple or Adobe software. I want the DAM management of files to keep track of things. My first step in the workflow will be PhotoMechanic --- primarily to add ratings, keywords and other metadata so I can find things later and sort out the keepers from the junk.

So, my mind is made up about products. I may throw in PhotoNinja or Nik software when I learn more about shadow retention, Perspective correction and noise reducing.

But here is a twist. What format to shoot, save and work in? I'm currently using ViewNX2 to ingest. Even though I shoot in RAW (heaven only knows why), I find that JPEG is what I am after. To send as email attachments, to share with my wife via a memory stick.

So, why bother with the RAW in the first place? It slows down the write speed on the SD cards in the camera. And what practical use is it?

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?

G