Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67487
View in linear mode

Subject: "Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 28-Jun-13 06:51 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"

Los Angeles, US

I just read few threads here about Aperture and Lightroom and CNX2. My new iMac arrives today, so it is time to firm up my decisions.

The last step in my workflow will be either the apple or Adobe software. I want the DAM management of files to keep track of things. My first step in the workflow will be PhotoMechanic --- primarily to add ratings, keywords and other metadata so I can find things later and sort out the keepers from the junk.

So, my mind is made up about products. I may throw in PhotoNinja or Nik software when I learn more about shadow retention, Perspective correction and noise reducing.

But here is a twist. What format to shoot, save and work in? I'm currently using ViewNX2 to ingest. Even though I shoot in RAW (heaven only knows why), I find that JPEG is what I am after. To send as email attachments, to share with my wife via a memory stick.

So, why bother with the RAW in the first place? It slows down the write speed on the SD cards in the camera. And what practical use is it?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?
SheriB Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
28th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
esantos Moderator
29th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
tuthill Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
tuthill Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
prreid Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
helmdr Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
06th Jul 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 28-Jun-13 08:01 PM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Simple answer as to why shoot in raw..For when you do learn more about shadow retention, etc and probaby add some some Nik software...raw files will help you to produce a better final image. As you expand your skills, you will get to the point you want to do more than just email them..and you will have better images to print off..

Sheri Becker

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 28-Jun-13 08:08 PM
5572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Jun-13 08:10 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

The practical use of RAW is that it gives you far more options in post to work the image, without some thing being baked-in. For instance, you can adjust white balance in RAW easily. It's a lot harder to fix in a JPG.

I use PM to ingest, CNX2 with Color Efex Pro3 to do most RAW processing. HDR software for those series, and Helicon Focus for focus stacks. I'll usually use SilverEfex for B&W conversions, or Perfect B&W. Perfect Resize does my major resizing or canvas wrap prep. Viewpoint for distortion correction.

Occasionally, I use PS, but rarely.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 28-Jun-13 09:14 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Well, the Gods have intervened. I bought a used iMac and besides having the intel cpu, it came with both Lightroom and Nikon CaptureNX2. I have gone through months of pondering this issue of software. I'm new to DSLR and the only software I've run was ViewNX2.

So, now, my mind is made up for me. I'll buy a copy a PhotoMechanic for ingesting. And I'll learn Nikon Capture for image adjustment. I'm sure I'll have my hands full mastering them. If by chance I get more sophistictated, I might want to add a plug-in such Nik or PhotoNinja for NR, Shadow Retention and Perspective correx.

Thanks for the input. I'm a happy camper. (not a pixel peeper)

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 29-Jun-13 06:55 PM
11370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 29-Jun-13 06:56 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

I'm going to offer a different perspective. I'm not trying to be a troublemaker or anything, I just think you should carefully consider your choice to go with Capture.

At this point there is some discussion (and I'll even admit a lot of it is speculation at this point) whether Nikon is going to continue supporting Capture. The primary reason being that Nik Software is now owned by Google and the first thing they did was discount the entire suite. This could be bad for the future of Nik plug-ins. With that being said you should be aware that until Nik became the primary developer for Nikon post processing software (Capture NX) Nikon was terrible at writing software. If they should have to pick this up in-house again I'm afraid Capture is doomed.

In my opinion, the main reason one would elect to go with Nikon Capture NX is because you happen to like or prefer how Nikon produces a processed NEF file. Some people just prefer the "look". Third party software developers like Adobe, for example, have to back engineer their programs so that they can replicate that same Nikon look. This is because Nikon will not allow these developers access to read in-camera settings applied to the NEF file outside of the white balance. The Nikon SDK does not allow this access. In response Adobe came up with their Camera Profiles. In time these have become very close to replicating the Nikon characteristics. They are quite good at this point.

Take a look at Adobe Lightroom before you make a final decision. You can download it and try it free for 30 days. You also mention Photo Ninja. I think Photo Ninja is the most surprising new product to come along in some time. I reviewed it for Nikonians early in its first release and I think it is already a worthy competitor to everything else out there. With next version I believe it will really come into its own.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 07:47 PM
#7. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

I hear you, Ernesto. I want more simplicity in my life, and it seems considering Aperture and Nikon Capture puts one at the mercy of corporate profit mongers. They don't treat the photo community as customers. Long periods of silence, no announcement of plans or future features.

And I'm not that loyal to the Nikon brand or their proprietary software. Just this morning, I was thinking Lightroom is really a modern solution. I like the DAM management it provides.

Now, if I could just figure out their purchase options. It seems to be like joining a club, with annual fees. Hey, what about the small guy who doesn't shoot for a living?

At this point, I've got to dive in and start learning PP.

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 10:03 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 7

Fort McMurray, CA

>Now, if I could just figure out their purchase options. It
>seems to be like joining a club, with annual fees. Hey, what
>about the small guy who doesn't shoot for a living?

There's only 2 purchase options for Lightroom. Number 1 is to just buy it outright for the $149 they want for it. The other option is to subscribe to the Creative Cloud and pay the monthly fee for either Photoshop CC alone or the entire Creative suite. Lightroom comes free with the subscription. Unfortunately, at this point in time, if you decide to not renew your subscription in the future you lose access to your software.

Good luck with your decision and your post processing lessons.

Mike Tuthill

Nikon D90, Tamron 28-300 VC, Nikkor 35-105, Nikkor 50 f1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-400 VR, Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 OS DG, Sigma 180 EX DG Macro, Nikon 18-200 VR

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 10:56 PM
#9. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Angeles, US

Well, I am more or less watching from the sidelines. To my thinking, PhotoShop is for the pros. Way too much technology, and a stiff learning curve as well.

But I may change. So, to leave the door open, how much is the monthly rent on the Creative Cloud -- as opposed to the $149 outright purchase of Lightroom?

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Sun 30-Jun-13 12:12 AM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 9

Fort McMurray, CA

>Well, I am more or less watching from the sidelines. To my
>thinking, PhotoShop is for the pros. Way too much technology,
>and a stiff learning curve as well.
>
>But I may change. So, to leave the door open, how much is the
>monthly rent on the Creative Cloud -- as opposed to the $149
>outright purchase of Lightroom?

Here's a link to the CC plans.

http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

Mike Tuthill

Nikon D90, Tamron 28-300 VC, Nikkor 35-105, Nikkor 50 f1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-400 VR, Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 OS DG, Sigma 180 EX DG Macro, Nikon 18-200 VR

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 03:06 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I think Bravozulu alluded to my feelings (?attitude...whatever) about shooting in RAW vs. JPEG, i.e. as an amateur, I shoot both. If I am at a birthday party, etc where all you really want are (personal) memory snapshots, why-in-the-world would anyone want to shoot in RAW? When I do shoot in JPEG, I use JPEG fine.

On the other if I am on a photoshoot (and looking for "that magnificent shot"), I would always shoot in RAW.

Another reason (for me)to choose when I shoot JPEG or RAW is that I use PS CS5 and when shooting with my Nikon D7100, the NEF files will not open in CS5 (for this I use the Adobe DNG program which works well--but takes time).

I would be interested to know if (any) others share a similar shooting philosophy.

prreid

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 03:49 PM
#5. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Blame it on my laziness, but when I'm uploading files from my SD card, I have to jump through hoops to get a jpeg small enough for - say eBay -, saving the format, setting the pixel count small enough for an email attachment.

I've got a new iMac computer. So maybe with the added processing speed the steps for uploading images won't seem such a chore. I like the choices and options, but much of the time I feel like I'm a slave to my camera, instead of it serving my needs. I just glanced over at my bookshelves. Since acquiring a D7000 Nikon, I've bought 15+ books on DSLR. Quite a few of them deal with lighting and Nkon CLS flash control. I wanted a hobby. But this is getting ridiculous. Oh, and forget forum discussions on U1 & U2 settings.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 06:36 PM
#11. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

Made my choices and purchases. Starting out with Photo Mechanic as an image brower/rater/namer. Then to Nik effex for Perspective correx, shadow recovery and NR, Finishing with Lightroom for RAW conversion, cataloging and typical sliders --- lightness,contrast,sharpness.

Would it be overkill if I bought the standard package of DxO?

helmdr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 03:14 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 11

Houston, US

I am also looking at DxO and wondering if anyone has compared this with Lightroom 5 correction package

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 07:08 PM
#13. "RE: Digital PP Soup --- What Ingredients?"
In response to Reply # 12

Los Angeles, US

I don't know that Lightroom has the same tools as DxO. Not based on any real solid knowledge, I chose the Nik suite to do those alterations. My feeling was that DxO was more technical and the learning would be harder than Nik.

As I begin to use, I'll post my impressions.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67487 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.