Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67386
View in linear mode

Subject: "Displaying Background and Images" Previous topic | Next topic
Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Tue 28-May-13 11:51 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Displaying Background and Images"

US

Not sure of the best place to post this, thought I would start in this forum since it applies to post processing.

I have several backgrounds/templates that I want to provide view access so the people I am photographing can determine what background they would like to be composited with.

For those who do this type work how do you provide the examples for people to select from? I have hundreds now to choose from, but would rather let them choose unless I am doing a specific look I am looking for (paid model, ect.).

Perhaps thumbnails in a locked client website to restrict access?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Displaying Background and Images
kodiak photo Silver Member
29th May 2013
Magnum164 Silver Member
29th May 2013
mpage Silver Member
29th May 2013
Magnum164 Silver Member
29th May 2013
mpage Silver Member
30th May 2013

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Wed 29-May-13 12:22 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Displaying Background and Images"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 29-May-13 12:24 AM by kodiak photo

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hey Randall,

The way I work around this is creating a web gallery that
I will upload to my website. I em@il the link to the rightful
viewer that see a new tab or new bowser window open and
offesr the thumbnails included. All they have to do is click on
the ones they wish to preview.

Here is an example:
http://www.kodiakmedia.at/gallery2012/weinlesefest_2012_gamlitz/index.html

In such gallery, you can control all sizes, resolution etc.

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Wed 29-May-13 12:40 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Displaying Background and Images"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, but wanted to see if there was other options. But it makes sense. Just about the only way to deliver the pics without having to sit and wait for them to thumb through print

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Wed 29-May-13 05:15 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Displaying Background and Images"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 29-May-13 05:36 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

Randal,

>I have several backgrounds/templates that I want to provide
>view access so the people I am photographing can determine
>what background they would like to be composited with.

I created a simple Web site to index the available digital backgrounds:

http://www.losgatosphoto.com/backgrounds/

This would work with physical backgrounds too.

If you are offering digital backgrounds, one thing to consider is giving your subjects too many choices. I limit the number of free samples to 2 or 3 for proof images and then begin to charge for additional samples.

BTW I use PhotoKey 6 Pro to shoot with a green or blue screens:

http://fxhome.com/

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Wed 29-May-13 10:49 PM
#4. "RE: Displaying Background and Images"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks, glad to see I am not the only one thinking this way. I agree, although I have a lot of backgrounds will whittle them down to only the ones I can match the lighting easily in post.

Thanks for the Photokey 6 tip, I was looking for a plugin or something earlier.

I have not been through the link, but will that let you tether with a background so you match someone to the background? ie.. depth or leaning on an element?

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Thu 30-May-13 11:23 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Displaying Background and Images"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 30-May-13 01:21 PM by mpage

San Jose, US

Randall,

>I have not been through the link, but will that let you tether
>with a background so you match someone to the background? ie..
>depth or leaning on an element?

I think PhotoKey will get you close to what your are looking for. Ideally you might want a Live View situation where you could change digital backgrounds and see the subject and background in real-time. I'm not sure how to make that happen, but you can get close to it with PhotoKey 6 PRO tethering feature.

But you may want to think about giving your customers or the subjects of your portraits the ability to see their images in real-time. This would work well with products, but people are going to want to see the real-time results.

PhotoKey 6 PRO installs as a stand-alone program and both Photoshop CS5 and CS6 plugins.

Overview: http://fxhome.com/photokey-6-pro
Details: http://fxhome.com/photokey-6-pro/in-detail
Videos: http://fxhome.com/support/photokey-tutorials/

This is from overview section:

"Tether your camera to your computer and PhotoKey will begin processing your photos the moment you click the shutter."

I learned from experience that one needs to limit the number of possible background to a manage number, perhaps 5 to 10 choices using PhotoKey automated batch processing. A new feature in PhotoKey 6 PRO is the ability to batch process images and export each photo to several different background variations.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67386 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.