Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67319
View in linear mode

Subject: "Animal Redeye" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 10-May-13 05:08 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Animal Redeye"
Fri 10-May-13 05:09 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

I have tried using a speedlight on animals and birds and end up with the equivalent of redeye. However, with non humans, it seems to always be a silver color. When I try to use redeye reduction in post processing, I get a response of "redeye? redeye? what redeye?". Is there any post processing software that will respond to colors other than red?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Animal Redeye
ericbowles Moderator
10th May 2013
scenicshutterbug Silver Member
11th May 2013
SheriB Silver Member
11th May 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
15th May 2013
danshep Silver Member
16th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
16th May 2013

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 10-May-13 07:04 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

In animals its often referred to as SteelEye. And it is very difficult to fix. Unlike redeye, where you can remove saturation of the red channel, SteelEye affects luminescence and extends broadly across the eye.

The obvious solution is to not use flash when photographing animals susceptible to steeleye. You might also be able to use off camera flash but it would have to be well off axis. And in some cases you can simply reduce the flash to a mild fill and steeleye will be prevented. The answer varies by subject. My usual approach is to not use flash or use a minimal fill flash.

In post processing, the options are tougher. You can clone in an eye from another image. You can also clone out the gray steeleye. It is also possible to darken the eye, but I find that approach can look unnatural.

The other approach in post processing deals with blue color in steeleye. In that case you might be able to desaturate the blue tone in the eye and return it to a more neutral black and white tone.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Sat 11-May-13 11:39 AM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 0

Richland, US

In addition to Eric's comments, you might also try using the color replacement tool to try and restore the natural iris color. I have found it often takes a combination of techniques to resolve this problem.

Karen

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 11-May-13 05:41 PM
1723 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 0

US

http://learntotakephotos.com/photography_tips/how_to_fix_horse_flash_eye.php
Probably what was ialready described here by the other replies, to be honet i have not looked at it.

Sheri Becker

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 15-May-13 02:58 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the easiest thing would be to move the flash way off to one side.

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 07:24 PM
1333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 4

Olympia, US

I use flash brackets from "Really Right Stuff".

They have extension pieces, which may give you enough distance.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 16-May-13 07:34 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Animal Redeye"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

For some reason being off camera on a bracket is often not enough. I think you need to be well off camera - several feet or even a remote flash. That provides directional light that does not reflect back to the camera. This is very subject specific and is based on the specific characteristics of the subject's eye.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67319 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.