Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67318
View in linear mode

Subject: "Working Out My Workflow" Previous topic | Next topic
JMidJr Registered since 15th Mar 2013Fri 10-May-13 02:37 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Working Out My Workflow"

Mayo, US

After years of editing scanned jpegs on Windows systems using Paintshop Pro, I've over the last two years shifted to a more up to date (and fun, and reinvigorating!!!) system. But I'm very much new to this sort of workflow. The ease of processing is amazing, but the multiple steps need to be worked out in sequence. Yes, trial and error... But I believe in learning from the mistakes of others (hence, I wear seat belts, etc.) So I'd like to hear suggestions on simplifying my workflow.

System (briefly): Nikon D7000, mostly nature work using Nikkor 300mm with 1.4 teleconverter. Import to Apple MacBook (dual monitor setup) using Capture and initial processing with View NX2 (many shots seem to need little more processing.) I crop here so nothing is lost, convert from View to .tiffs, archiving the NEFs. The whole file management will be another topic someday.

I open the .tiff files in Photoshop Elements 11 and adjust them with NIK software plugins. I start with Dfine (although I'm so new to it I just use defaults right now.) Then, if only a bit of tweaking is needed I use Viveza to enhance saturation, contrast, etc. If I think more is needed I use Color Efex Pro 4. (Geez, if I'd had this all along so many of those lousy images could have been saved! Scary what can be done once I get more experience, post some images, and get your feedback.)

If that's not confusing enough, I don't know what's the best route next. Here's what I think I'll be doing henceforth. I'll resize (using Nikonians gallery guidelines of 1800 pixels on the longest side and 10 megs maximum file size. Watermark using PSE 11 brush, sharpen for display using Sharpener Pro 3, and save to the appropriate place in my "file management system."

That's complex in so many ways that I can't help thinking my ignorance is leading me to some inefficiency that could be avoided were I an expert like you Hence this post. Advice or suggestions? I've invested all I can/care to in software for now, so suggestions for making the existing suite of applications work more efficiently will be appreciated.

A photographer for 50+ years, still trying to get it right (and loving every soft/fuzzy minute of it - sigh)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sat 11-May-13 07:26 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Working Out My Workflow"
In response to Reply # 0

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hello John,

As a professional, all decisions must take me to HIGHER QUALITY & PRODUCTIVITY!
I am grateful to the pro I am (but he is just a part of me) because the amateur in me take all benefits
from "his" work…

From the shooting gear to post-production tool, there is a line of decisions that all pull in the same
direction: optimized workflow. When I pull out a card from a camera, I take it to only one software.
A powerful RAW converter that will, in one step, permit me to optimize the pictures and deliver,
hopefully, faster then the competition. Apparently, I got pretty good at that!

May I suggest that the first step to better workflow is to simplify it?

Workflow is an elaborate series of operations:
• Planing
• Shooting
• PP+ Editing & Backups
• End format & Saving
• Archiving
that must all be optimized.

Reducing the number of apps you will use is a good starting point.

Vbrg

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!

JMidJr Registered since 15th Mar 2013Wed 15-May-13 10:20 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Working Out My Workflow"
In response to Reply # 1

Mayo, US

Thanks vbrg! I've been working in my semi-retired capacity so haven't had a chance to get back here.

Your advice is great! I really like keeping things simple and agree that a more efficient use of applications makes sense. In most cases I don't really need to do as much as I've fallen into. Nice to have options when needed, but when it's not I shall strive to simplify.

As in much of life a bit more planning would be wise for me. My file management needs some tweaking but is workable. Tweak I shall with the aim of efficiency.

Thanks for taking time to give a hobbyist some very helpful advice!

A photographer for 50+ years, still trying to get it right (and loving every soft/fuzzy minute of it - sigh)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Wed 15-May-13 10:27 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Working Out My Workflow"
In response to Reply # 2

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hello John,

BTW, Vbrg (very best regards)
was a greeting not my name.

anytime you need more specific
tips, just come back!

Greetings

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67318 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.